jengelman

this is the turning point

so i decided to actually write something that isnt a poem

10
This is how you get through a normal weekday. One, wake at 4:15am. Sleep until the 5am alarm, if you can. If you cannot, tug the curtain sills into the corner of your room. Sit for 3 minutes, immersing yourself in nature’s rhythm. Notice how the brightness of every star is dulled by its neighbour, recognise how small each star is in comparison. Two, brush your teeth in a 3:1 tooth-brush to water ratio. As you stare at yourself, through broken fragments of your mirror and toothpaste stains of last night’s dinner, picture who you will become tomorrow. Perhaps it will be better. Most likely it will not. Three. Drag your porcelain body against the carpet, until you reach the table stone. It is 4:22. If you spent too long staring into the mirror it might be 4:23. Drink Milo. Pour 80mL of milk against 20g of milo, and sprinkle mint leaves on top. Do not mix them, but rather let it sit for 40 seconds. As you hold onto the mug, do not forget that it is a regular Tuesday, and a regular Tuesday means that you have three more days of sinking. Open a packet of Paper Mate Ink Joy felt-tip pens, mark an eighth graders paper. Do not forget to drink your milo.

• r|A|i|N

this is so well written; i kind of felt depressed reading it. the use of numbers is particularly haunting; it kind of emphasizes a sort of logistics-riddled tone.

i have to admit, i didn't see it coming that it would a teacher rather than a student. this is an excellently written piece, and i love how the style you wrote with here reflects the depressed narrator; you capture how the moments drag, how naturally pessimistic everything is.