0c8e74dc 0d8c 41d2 b8c8 ca802e5a78c5

parachutes

I write for my past, present, and future.

Live dangerous, be yourself, and never give a fudgenugget.

I love editing, so comment on my piece ''The Editing Monster' and i'll give your piece a look over!!!!!!!

Down Perambulation Road

0

Enter Scene.
 (A gravel road can be seen straight ahead. The road, WILLOW LANE, is empty, with a STOP sign, and 2 road signs adorning it on either side. The road leads of into two directions. The sign on the left reads BURKLAND ROAD, and on the right, the sign reads PERAMBULATION ROAD. It is raining. Thunder grumbles, and lightning lights up the sky. Then, suddenly the crunching sound of footsteps can be heard. (Cue symphony). Suspense music fills the air. The footsteps sound like they’re coming closer, and closer. A crack of thunder pierces the air, and the lightning lights up the stage/screen. The cameras are blinded by the lights, and as the lights fade, MARTHA HADLEY appears in the middle of the road. MARTHA HADLEY looks to be roughly 15 years old. The camera circles around her, She is wearing jeans and a hoodie that are full of holes, and covered in dirt. She is roughly 20 feet away from the STOP sign, and has her thumb up hitchhiking. )

MARTHA sees headlights approaching.  

MARTHA:
(Anxiously)
C’mon, I need to get home...

Exit Scene

Act 1
Scene 2

Enter Scene.
JESSICA NEWMAN and her father TREVOR NEWMAN are driving down WILLOW LANE together in their PEARL WHITE CHEVROLET IMPALA, with a small CARGO TRAILER trailing behind them. Their windshield wipers are furiously trying to combat the rain that is pouring down. The clock on their dash reads 11:59.  It appears that they are arguing. 

TREVOR:
(In an exasperated tone)
You see Jess, I just don’t agree with you. There is no way that Kells is going to beat Em with this whole rap war thingie they have going on. Em has been doing this for much longer than Kells, I mean, it was a solid diss track, but Em is going to pummel his arse into submission. 

JESSICA:
Dad, look, I get it. You have been listening to Eminem’s music since ‘96 and you’re a loyal fan, but MGK is the new guy to watch! His rhymes are fresh. Here, listen. 

JESSICA pulls out a cellar phone, and immediately the car is filled with the heavy bass and lyricism. 

MACHINE GUN KELLY:
Yeah/Real feelings/From past dealings/Where people counted me out till I grew up to count millions uh/ Like I guess it’s good to be different...

TREVOR:
(Mock shouting) 
No, no, this is wrong. Thou shan’t disrespect thy Rap God in thy vehicular vessel! 

TREVOR whips out his cellular phone, presses some buttons, and the music changes abruptly. A whirlwind of words explode from the speakers. 

EMINEM:
 Lyrics coming at you at supersonic speed/Uh, sama lamaa duma lamaa you assuming I'm a human/What I gotta do to get it through to you I'm superhuman/Innovative and I'm made of rubber/ So that anything you saying ricocheting off of me and it'll glue to you...

JESSICA And TREVOR are both now laughing and fighting for control over the stereo system. TREVOR takes his eyes of the road, and a hand off the wheel, and snatches JESSICAS phone away. 

TREVOR: 
(Triumphantly) 
Ahahahahahaha! No more whiney mumble rapping in my vessel of transportation!

Suddenly, MARTHA HADLEY appears on the road ahead of TREVOR and MARTHAS vehicle. Tires screech, and a solid thud can be heard. 

Exit Scene

Act 1
Scene 3

A blood curling scream can be heard, but all that can be seen visually is darkness. Suddenly, a bolt of lightning lights up the sky, and the vehicle and its occupants can be seen once again. JESSICA has her mouth wide open, and is screaming. 

JESSICA:
(In a panicked tone)
Oh my GOD, did we hit her? Dad, did you hit her? Dad!

TREVOR:
(sounding dazed)
I-I-I don’t know...

JESSICA jumps out of the car. She runs to the front of the vehicle. There is no dent, no body, and no girl to be seen. 

JESSICA:
(in a loud voice)
Dad, you didn’t hit anything. 

TREVOR:
Then what was that god awful thud?

MARTHA:
(In a quiet tone that is barely heard)
Your cargo trailer hit a fence post mister. 

TREVOR and MARTHA both jump out of their skin. 

TREVOR:
Who said that?

MARTHA:
‘‘Tis just me. Sorry for startling you folks, I just needed a ride. I didn’t mean to walk in front of your vehicle. Your trailers fine, it’s just got a little dent, but it’s that fence post I’m worried about. I better get Pa to call Mr Davis. We don’t want his cattle getting out. 

JESSICA gave TREVOR a strange look. 

JESSICA:
(Mouthing the words, but not vocalizing them)
Is this girl for real? We almost killed her!

TREVOR shrugged his shoulders. 

TREVOR:
And who exactly are you?

MARTHA:
Oh, where are my manners! Hello, my name is Martha Hadley. 

MARTHA sticks her hand out. 

JESSICA looks at TREVOR. TREVOR shrugs, and sticks his hand out. 

TREVOR:
Nice to meet you Martha. I’m Trevor Newman, and this is my daughter Jessica. Umm, what exactly are you doing out on the road this late at night?

JESSICA:
Dad, it’s not really our business...

MARTHA:
Well, you see, I was trying to hitchhike out of this shitty place, but, well, I just want to go home now. 

MARTHA stares at her feet. 

MARTHA: 
Would you mind giving me a ride? I just live 5 miles up the road...

TREVOR:
Of course! 

JESSICA:
(In a hushed tone)
Dad! We don’t even know her! What if she’s a serial killer and is going to slice your throat when we start to drive away?!

TREVOR laughs. 

MARTHA:
What’s so funny?

TREVOR:
Oh, nothing. Well, let’s get going!

So, MARTHA, TREVOR, And JESSICA all pile into the car. It takes TREVOR a couple tries, but they are able to get out of the ditch without to much trouble. They start heading down the road. The rain is pounding down so hard, that they are forced to drive down the gravel roads at a mere 20km/hr. 

MARTHA:
Okay, we’re going to take a right turn up here, just onto PERAMBULATION ROAD.

EXIT SCENE. 

Act 1
Scene 4

ENTER SCENE
JESSICA And TREVOR NEWMAN can be seen sitting in the front seats of the car, with MARTHA HADLEY sitting in the rear driver seat, blankly staring out the window. JESSICA keeps looking back at MRTHA, with a mixture of scepticism and curiosity on her face. 

JESSICA:
So, Martha, how come you were trying to leave here? It seems like a beautiful place.

MARTHA:
(Incoherent mumbling) 

JESSICA takes that as a hint that MARTHA doesn’t want to talk to her, so she turns her head, and stares out the window. 

MARTHA, TREVOR, and JESSICA spend the next 4.9 miles in absolute silence. 

Suddenly, a rank, sharp, vulgar, and putrid scent fills the car. It smelt like someone took billy goat urine, dog anal glands, cat feces, and mildew and threw them in the blender on high. The smell gets stronger and stronger until JESSICA can’t take it. 

JESSICA looks at TREVOR. TREVOR is so focused on driving, it appears he does not smell it, or he is pretending not to. 

JESSICA:
(in a somewhat sharp tone)
Dad. 

TREVOR:
(In a somewhat distracted voice)
What is it sweetheart?

JESSICA:
(now covering her nose in repulsion)
Dad, did you just shit yourself?

TREVOR:
Nope, I think that they’re fertilizing the fields though. 

JESSICA:
(gagging)
Can you drive any faster?

TREVOR:
(gagging as well)
‘Fraid not. 

Suddenly, a large, brick, Victorian Era house appears in the distance. 

JESSICA:
Finally. Hey Martha, we’re almost there. 

When MARTHA doesn’t reply, JESSICA looks behind her. MARTHA is gone, and in her place is pile of dirt, worms, and material that resembles the sweater she was wearing. Cold sweat covers JESSICA. 

JESSICA:
(stuttering slightly)
D-dad, sh-she’s gone. 

TREVOR slams on the breaks. 

TREVOR:
(in surprise and horror)
What?

JESSICA points a trembling finger in the direction of where MARTHA was sitting. TREVORS mouth hangs wide open. 

Suddenly, a yard light flickers on in the yard MARTHA claimed to have lived on. 

TREVOR:
(stuttering over his words, and clearly alarmed)
W-well, l-l-lets go and t-t-tell her p-p-parents that they h-h-have a kid playing j-j-j-jokes on moto-motorists. 

EXIT SCENE

Act 1
Scene 5

ENTER SCENE

An elderly couple, GEORGE and FRANCINE HADLEY, are sitting in their parlour, anxiously gazing out the window. They appear to be in their mid 60s, clearly to old to have a teenage daughter. They seem to be on edge. From where they are sitting, they can see the grid road that leads to their house. A set of headlights can be seen approaching their yard, and they watch as the vehicle skids to a stop. 

FRANCINE:
(in a sad and tired voice)
George, go turn on the yard and porch light. Our guests for this year are here. I’ll go get the juice, cookies, and smelling salts. 

GEORGE:
(sounding on the verge of tears)
Yes dear. 

GEORGE and FRANCINE both get up from their seats, and go to do their separate tasks. 

The camera follows GEORGE to the porch. 

GEORGE flips 2 switches, and then gazes sadly at the wall. There, framed and hung, is a picture of MARTHA. 

GEORGE:
(softly crying now)
My dear girl, I miss you so much. 

EXIT SCENE

Act 1
Scene 6

ENTER SCENE 

TREVOR And JESSICA NEWMAN are now on the HADLEYS property. They park the car, and walk in the direction of the porch light.

JESSICA:
(nervously)
Dad, what are we even doing here? I mean, the girl just disappeared!  Can’t we just go home, I mean, there’s nothing we can even do...

TREVOR:
If it were you out there, I’d want to know....so this is the right thing to do. 

The NEWMANS are now at the porch. They climb the stairs, and the second that they reach the top landing, the door swings open. TREVOR And JESSICA both jump in shock. GEORGE is now staring at them. His cheeks are wet, and it’s apparent that he has been crying. 

TREVOR:
Sir, are-

GEORGE:
Please, come inside. We need to talk. 

GEORGE turns his back to the NEWMANS, leaving them no choice but to follow. 

GEORGE:
Please take off your shoes. My wife, Francine, just washed them. 

EXIT SCENE

Act 1
Scene 7

ENTER SCENE

FRANCINE HADLEY is back in the parlour, with a silver tray in front of her. Cookies, tea, and juice sit on the tray. GEORGE, JESSICA, and TREVOR enter the room. 

FRANCINE:
Would either of you like something to drink or eat?

TREVOR:
No, actually, this isn’t a social call. You see, we were.....

FRANCINE:
(cutting him off abruptly)
Driving along, minding your business when my deranged dead daughter appeared in the road, and asked you to give her a ride home. Yes, yes, we know, this happens every year. 

JESSICA:
How’d you kn-wait, did you say DEAD?

JESSICA turns slightly green, and begins to wobble. She starts to crumble to the floor, when TREVOR catches her. 

TREVOR:
What in the hell is going on here!

TREVOR gently lays JESSICA down on the floor. 

TREVOR!
Do you have any water or...

FRANCINE swoops in with a mysterious looking cube, and places it in front of JESSICAS nose. JESSICA immediately sits up bolt right. TREVOR looks at FRANCINE, puzzled. 

MARTHA:
Smelling salts. As I said, this happens every year

JESSICA:
Dad, their daughter is dead! We had a dead girl in our car! Oh god, I’m gonna be sick....

TREVOR:
Calm down Jess. Let....sorry what’s your name?

FRANCINE:
I’m Francine, and this is my husband, George. 

TREVOR:
Sorry. Let Francine and George explain what the hells going on, and why they’re so damn calm about everything. 

GEORGE looks at FRANCINE. 

FRANCINE:
Well, go ahead George. It’s your fault that this happens every year. 

A single tear slides down GEORGES cheek. Her cleats his throat, and begins. 

GEORGE:
Well, you see, our daughter, Martha, she...well, she wasn’t well. She wasn’t well at all. She was smoking marijuana, and Francine and I didn’t want that in our house. We got into a huge fight, and she left. She told us that she was never going to come back. She stormed out our front porch, the same one you just came through, and...we never saw her alive again. Martha was trying to catch a ride, and she...she was mauled by a bear. The coroner said that she would have survived her wounds if we had found her less than 2 hours before we did...but I was so mad!  We-

FRANCINE shot him a dirty look. 

FRANCINE:
(outraged and angry)
George, you refused to let me go after her! It’s your fault she’s dead! It’s all your fault!

FRANCINE starts crying. 

FRANCINE:
And now, every year on her birthday, she tries to come home to us, and traumatizes poor people like you. 

FRANCINE leaves the room, now hysterical. 

GEORGE:
(looking sheepish)
Maybe it would be best if you left. 

TREVOR:
Of course. Jess, let’s go. 

And with that, TREVOR and JESSICA NEWMAN left THE HADLEYS house. They went outside, and climbed back into the car. They drive off into the distance, and it all fades to black for the last time. 

EXIT SCENE

END OF ACT 1

THE END