Peer Review by lizbadiz (United States)

HAPPY TOGETHER

By: parachutes_the_idiot

ENTER SCENE

CHESTER DELSONS APARTMENT - LIVING ROOM - MORNING

(The camera pans in on the pizza boxes, bottles, Chinese takeout cartons, and fast food wrappers that litter the floor of this downtown apartment. The floor is red linoleum, and has a sticky look to it, with chips, dirt, and sandwich crumbs covering it. There are no books in sight, only a single magazine laying on the ground, rejected, in a pool of what appears to be coffee. Flies are everywhere, buzzing in through an opened window, sunlight shines through that window, bouncing lightly against each other. A ceiling fan spins around lazily, making a whooshing noise. Below the window is a red oversized sofa, and a desk with a laptop on it. Across from the sofa is a small table, that has a cell phone on it. A young man lays on the couch on his side, snoring loudly. This is CHESTER DELSON. The flies are swarming around his face, and aside from the sunlight, there is no other source of light. The cellphone starts to make noise. CHESTER sits up, startled. He blinks once, twice, then opens his mouth and yawns. He reaches his hand out, and grabs the phone. The camera is now pointed at the phone. It is 11:46 AM, and he has 47 missed calls)

CHESTER
(Sounding amazed, and to no one in particular.)
Woah. 

(He presses a couple buttons, and holds the phone to his ear. The call goes straight to voice mail.)

CHESTER
(In mild annoyance)
If you yahoos had the time to call me 40 some odd times, I’m pretty sure you could pick up your damn phones. 

(He presses some more buttons, and a voice comes from the tinny speaker)

MRS DELSON
Have you heard the news? I know that you have never eat healthy, or consume anything that isn’t already chemical laced and bound to kill you, but still. Anyways, your brother is on the other line, I got to go.

CHESTER
(In a high pitched mocking voice)
Blah, blah, blah, blah, oh, I love your brother more, blah blah, blah. 

(He places the phone down, with a look of irritation on his face. He stands up, stretches, and shuffles to the desk. He turns on his laptop, and queues up the web browser. It loads, but the computer makes a ding and an alert pops up on his screen. It reads “NO INTERNET CONNECTION FOUND ERROR 44367”.)

CHESTER
Seriously?

(He hits the refresh button, but nothing happens. He slams the laptop closed, and then the power goes out. A buzz can be heard as everything shuts off. It is followed by an eerie silence. CHESTER looks panicked. He slowly backs away from the desk, and slips on a pair of sneakers. He leaves the living room)

(The camera follows CHESTER into the hallway of the apartment building. There is a disgusting odour in the air, and CHESTER gags. He puts his hand over his mouth, and starts ascending down the staircase. He reaches the bottom of the stairs, and an entryway is now visible. He walks towards it, and opens the door. He is now in the street. The sun is high in the sky, and there is not a cloud to be seen. Only birds. Lots and lots of birds. The smell is worse outside. CHESTERS entire nose and mouth are now covered.)

CHESTER
(In a muffled tone)
Good god, what IS that smell?

(CHESTER ventures down the street. There is no one in sight, and no one to be heard. Only the birds, and a red van that sits parked outside his apartment building The side walked is cracked in many places, and there are little shoots of grass sticking out. He gets 10 strides away from the entrance when he sees the body. There, lying in the middle of the road, is he corpse of a full grown man. He is wearing a plaid shirt and jeans, laying on his stomach in a pool of blood. Flies are swarming around him. CHESTER gags at the sight of the body, but walks up over to it. He picks up a stick, and pokes the body.)

CHESTER
(still poking the body)
Hey, man, are you alright?

(The man does not respond. CHESTER bends down and flips him over onto his back. The mans face is completely covered in blood, and the flies all land on his face and start feeding off of him)

CHESTER
(Moaning)
Oh god, you are not alright. 

(CHESTER backs away, stumbling slightly. He turns around just as he gets close to the red van that was parked in front of his building. Laying in the drivers seat of the van is another dead body. CHESTER cringes at the sight of the body. He walks over to the other side of the van, and pulls open the passenger door. A sickening squelching sound fills the air as a small child’s corpse oozes out of the van. She slides out, her face covered in blood, and lands on CHESTER, leaving him frozen in terror and pushing him into the ground.)

CHESTER
(Screaming)
WHAT THE F@%K IS GOING ON?

(CHESTER pushes the little girls body off of him, and stands up. His jeans now are covered in blood, and he reads of death. CHESTER starts gagging, and turns around. He runs back into the apartment building and locks the door. He sits down on the ground. He pulls his phone out of his pocket, and starts calling people at random. All of the calls go straight to voicemail.)

CHESTER
(Hysterically)
WHY WONT YOU PICK UP YOUR PHONES!!! Please, please, please, pick up, please, please, I’ll never mock you again, just pick up the phone!

(CHESTERS screaming fades from a scream to a soft sob. He lobs his phone across the room, and it hits the door of apartment #1A. CHESTER stands up, and goes over to the apartment.)

CHESTER
(Rapping on the door)
 Hello? Anyone home?? Hello?

(No one replies, so he moves on to the next door, which is wide open)

CHESTER
(Knocking on the frame)
Hello? Ms Matthews? Are you home?

(He leans his head in the door, and knocks over a stack of newspapers. They tumble down, and CHESTER jumps in fright. He moves down to the next door, and repeats the process. He knocks at every single door in the apartment building, but no one answers.)

EXIT SCENE

ENTER SCENE
CHESTERS APARTMENT - KITCHEN - SEVERAL HOURS LATER. 

(CHESTER is going through all his cupboards, pulling out all of his food. He has a notebook with him, and he is making a list. His refrigerator is open, with the drawers all pulled out and emptied.)

CHESTER
(Writing it down as he speaks)
Okay, I’ve got 4 cans of tomato soup, 7 cans of mushrooms, a dozen tins of tuna, 5 bags of Doritos, 2 dozen mac and cheese, 4 cases of Coke, 2 cases of Pepsi, a box of pretzels, some crackers, 3 boxes of pasta, and some spaghetti sauce. 

(CHESTER leaves the room and goes into the bathroom)

CHESTER
(Writing down more stuff)
4 rolls of toilet paper, 1 thing of shampoo, a bar of soap, a tube of toothpaste, 3 toothbrushes, (now reaching into the medicine cabinet), 12 bandaids, 2 alcohol swabs, 4 OWWWW!!

(CHESTER pulls his hand away from the cupboard. CHESTER places his notebook and pen down on the closed toilet seat, and looks at the palm of his hand. A thin but deep gash is on his hand)

CHESTER
(Swearing slightly)
Damn it. (He pulls an alcohol swab and bandaid out, and tenderly starts nursing his wound. Once its clean and a bandaid is applied, he crosses stuff of on his list) Now I’m down to 11 bandaids and 1 alcohol swab. DAMN IT!

(CHESTER picks up his note book and heads back to the living room. He sits down on the sofa, and looks at his notebook)

CHESTER
(Sounding frustrated)
And this food...this isn’t gonna last me a month...what am I going to do? Everyone’s dead! There’s no one left to deliver pizza or bag groceries-

(CHESTERS face brightens suddenly)

CHESTER
There’s no one left to bag groceries, so theres no security guards either! Why, I can just walk right in there and take whatever I want, and no one can stop me! Ha!

(Chester jumps up from the sofa. He grabs his jacket, and heads out the door. The camera follows CHESTER as he clambers down the stairs. CHESTER exits the building, and is once again in the street. CHESTER glances around, and then proceeds to the red van that has the dead little girl and her mother in it. The passenger door is still open, so CHESTER climbs over the dead girls body, and into the van. There are millions of flies swarming over the dead woman’s body, and the smell is unbearable. CHESTER has his entire respiratory area covered with his sweater.)

CHESTER
(To the dead woman)
I’m so sorry for this...

(CHESTER opens up the driver door of the van, and the woman tumbles out, making a disgusting squelching sound as she goes. She hits the pavement with a thud, and CHESTER climbs in and sits down in the driver seat. He turns on the vehicle, and rolls down all the window. He puts the van into gear, and drives away from the apartment building, in search of a grocery store). 

EXIT SCENE. 
ENTER SCENE

PARKING LOT - SAVE ON FOODS - AROUND 4:00 PM

(CHESTER drives the red van right up to the front door of SAVE ON FOODS. He sits in the van, in contemplation for a couple minutes (elapsed time of course), and exits the van. The parking lot is a nightmare. It is big enough for roughly 100 vehicles, and nearly all of the slots are filled with vehicles varying in size, make and colour. A good 45% of the vehicles have a dead body surrounded by swarms of flies either in or around the vehicle. There are corpses everywhere. At the cart terminal, at the entrances, everywhere. A dead body has conveniently held the automatic sliding or open for CHESTER. CHESTER starts making his way towards the store. The smell of death is clearly bothering him. His face is twisted in a look of horror and fascination. He arrives at the door.)

CHESTER
(To the corpse)
Thank you gentle sir for holding the door open for me.

(CHESTER is now in. Bright yellow signs hang from giant metal hooks, one above each aisle. They read (from left to right) DELI, WING BAR, BAKERY, SEAFOOD, FRESH CUTS, PRODUCE, ORGANIC PRODUCE, CASHIERS, GRAINS, CANNED GOODS, CANDY, BAKING, IMPORTED GOODS, ELECTRONICS, HOUSEWARE, PAPER PRODUCTS, DISINFECTANTS, BRROMS AND MOPS, BOOKS, REDUCED, CLOTHING, CARDS AND STATIONARY, PHARMACY, HEARING CENTRE, PET SUPPLIES, and CUSTOMER SUPPORT. There are dead bodies all over the place, but significantly less than the parking lot. The majority of corpses are wearing employee uniforms, and are behind the varying counters. One poor chap has his head in the lobster tank, and they are munching on his face. CHESTER ignores all of this, and calmly goes to the indoor cart terminal.)

CHESTER
(To a dead lady laying in his path)
Excuse me miss, but may I get by?

(CHESTER steps over her, and gets a cart. The camera follows him as he starts walking through the store, whistling. He immediately goes over to ELECTRONICS. A large variety of headphones, pre paid cell phones, stereo system, TVs, movies, and CDs lay in front of him.)

CHESTER
Hmmm. What to choose, what to choose. 

(He reaches out, and grabs a portable boom box that is teal in colour. Next, he grabs a massive pair of SONY over the ear BASS IMPACT headphones that are black. He rips off the cellophane and cardboard packaging. He moves over a little bit, ignoring the dead corpse that is right behind him, and begins scanning the CD titles. They are decided into categories: POP, CLASSIC, ROCK, METAL, ALTERNATIVE, REGGAE, RNB, EXOTIC, and PARTY MIXTAPES. He goes to the alternative section, and sideswipes part of the shelf. 7 albums tumble into the cart; A TRAUMA SHARED, GHOST HUNT, HOW TO BLEED, HORROR CULT, CHASES, DORIAN, and MOST BEAUTIFUL THINGS ARE DEAD, all by the super awesome British Alt group, ASHESTOANGELS. He rips the cellophane of of the one entitled GHOST HUNT, and pops it into his teal boom box. He hits the power button. It doesn’t turn on.)

CHESTER
(In minor annoyance)
Damn it, no batteries! 

(CHESTER leaves the cart, and trots over to the cashier station. He grabs a reusable grocery bag, and throws all the double aa battery packs in as he can. He runs back to the cart, but stumbles. We hear a sickening crunch as CHESTERS foot goes through this poor chaps skull. CHESTER turns green, and pukes.)

CHESTER
(As the contents of his stomach come broiling up)
BLEUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! 

(The remains of Chester’s last meal and some stomach bile goes all over his clothes. He stands up, and dizzily stumbles towards the CLOTHING DEPARTMENT.)

EXIT SCENE. 
ENTER SCENE 

SAVE ON FOODS - BACK AT THE CART - NOT LONG AFTER

(CHESTER is now in fresh clothing. He has busted open the batteries, and now has music queued up, and ready to go. He reaches into the cart, and puts on the headphones. THE WAKE (A SLIGHT REPRISE) starts playing)

ASHES CRILLY
(Singing)
We only come home/for funeral songs,

(CHESTER starts pushing the cart, and he is headed for the canned food aisle. He has to avoid several bodies, and does so by veering away from them.)

ASHES CRILLY
(Singing)
...it tears right through me, 

(CHESTERs cart has snagged on the blouse of a dead woman. He pulls at the cart, but she remains stuck. CHESTER sighs, and just keeps going. The blouse simply tears apart. He is now in the canned good section.)

ASHES CRILLY
(Singing)
...you’re never alone/that’s what they told me,

(CHESTER now is sideswiping the shelves, with dozens of cans falling into the cart. ENTER DELACROIX. DELACROIX can be seen creeping up on him, but he doesn’t know it yet. The cat slinks closer, and closer, while CHESTER simply rocks out with his headphones) 

ASHES CRILLY/CHESTER 
(Singing off key together)
...its you and me/I believe,

(The cat is now right behind him. CHESTER continues dumping cans into the cart)

ASHES CRILLY/CHESTER 
(Still singing together)
...take me home,

(The cat nudges CHESTER. CHESTER jumps back in surprise. The headphones get yanked out of the auxiliary input slot, and the music abruptly stops. CHESTER is terrified)

CHESTER
(Screaming)
What the f@#k! What. The. F@#k!

DELACROIX
Miow! 

CHESTER
(Panting)
Oh...oh, it’s just a cat. (Getting annoyed) Shoo, shoo, go away. 

DELACROIX
Miow! 

(DELACROIX begins purring and rubbing her head on CHESTERs pant leg) 

DELACROIX
(Purring loudly)
Miowwwwwwww.

(DELACROIX launches herself at CHESTER, and lands on his shoulder. She burrows her face into his collar, and purrs even louder.)

CHESTER
Hey, you’re kinda cute...what’s your name little dude?

(DELACROIX’s chin jabs into Chester’s neck. He cranes his neck to try and see it. It reads “DELACROIX” on the collar)

CHESTER
DELACROIX, hey? How the hell’d you get here?

(DELACROIX meows as if she understands, and jumps off of his shoulder. She saunters away.)

CHESTER
Where are you going?

(CHESTER follows her. DELACROIX weaves up and down aisle, checking behind her constantly to make sure CHESTER follows. Finally, they end up in the PET SUPPLIES section, where an old lady is laying dead in the aisle. DELACROIX begins rubbing her head against the old lady, as if it say “this is my person”)

DELACROIX
(Sadly)
Miow. 

CHESTER 
Oh wow. (Pauses, as if in hesitation/deep thought). Well, why don’t you come with me? Y’know, we could be a team. “CHESTER And DELACROIX; Super Awesome Survivors”. 

DELACROIX
(In agreement)
Miow!

(CHESTER picks up DELACROIX, and puts her in the cart. He changes the setting from AUX INPUT to SPEAKER, and hits play. DELACROIX cuddles up in the cart) 

ASHES CRILLY
(Singing)
...the funeral

(CHESTER and DELACROIX make their way down the PET SUPPLIES aisle with CHESTER adding stuff as they go)

ASHES CRILLY
(Singing)
...wake to say goodbye,

(CHESTER begins to pile supplies in the cart, stuff like litter, food, dishes, and toys)

ASHES CRILLY
(Singing)
...I know/this is the last time,

(They are now headed back to CANNED GOODS)

ASHES CRILLY
(Singing)
...so wake up/wake up,

(CHESTER piles in more canned goods, then heads towards the PHARMACY)

ASHES CRILLY
(Singing)
...take me home/the funeral/wake to say goodbye,

(In the PHARMACY section, CHESTER throws in tensor bandages, gauze, hydrogen peroxide, disinfectants, bandaids, Advil, anti inflammatory ointment, antibiotics, and clot sticks) 

ASHES CRILLY
(Singing)
...I know/this is the last time,

(The cart is now brimming full. CHESTER and DELACROIX head for the door)

ASHES CRILLY
(Singing)
...so wake up/wake up.

EXIT SCENEENTER SCENE

CHESTER DELSONS APARTMENT - EVENING - THE LIVING ROOM. 

(CHESTER is sitting on the couch with DELACROIX on his lap. There are mountains of cans, jars, kitty litter, boxes of food (both human and cat), paint, paper, tape, batteries, cds, boxes, crates of water, disinfectants, bottles of medications, and rolls of toilet paper all over the apartment. CHESTER picks up DELACROIX, and sets her down on the couch. He stands up, and goes over to the door, and leaves. He returns moments later, carrying a large pile of newspapers.)

CHESTER
(To DELACROIX)
I saw these laying inside of Ms Matthews apartment earlier. Maybe they’ll say what the hell happened to everyone. 

(CHESTER starts flipping through the news papers. The headlines all scream the same thing; “Cholera Found In Meat, Vegetables, And Fruit”, “Cholera Kills 784 in Wisconsin”, “Cholera Sends 3 Into Coma”, “Cholera Death Count Reaches Millions”, and “Cholera Is The End”. CHESTER pales visibly)

CHESTER
Oh s@#t... did I sleep through the end of the world?

(DELACROIX comes over, and starts licking the paper thats headline reads “Cholera Sends 3 Into Coma”. CHESTER facepalms.)

CHESTER
Oh god...I was in a coma? 

(DELACROIX meows sadly, then hunkers down on his lap)

CHESTER
(To DELACROIX)
They’re all gone, aren't they? All my siblings. My parents. My nieces and nephews. 

(An odd expression crosses his face. He begins laughing)

DELACROIX
Miow?

CHESTER
(Doubled over in laughter, with tears in his eyes)
Oh my god, they’re all dead and I....I was sleeping! Hahaha! 

DELACROIX
(Angrily)
Miow!

(DELACROIX smacks CHESTER in the face, which sobers him up)

CHESTER
I’m sorry DELACROIX, its just...they always hated me! And now? Now I’m free! No more nagging, no more anything!

(DELACROIX glares at him. CHESTER avoids her gaze, and stands up)

CHESTER;
Well, I guess we better put all this stuff away. 

(CHESTER stretches, and starts putting stuff away.)

EXIT SCENE
ENTER SCENE

CHESTER DELSONS APARTMENT - AN HOUR LATER - LIVING ROOM

(CHESTER picks up a cat litter tray, a box of litter, and a scoop. DELACROIX is no longer mad at him, and follows him into the bathroom. CHESTER bends down beside the toilet, and places down the litter pan. He rips open the litter box, and dumps some of the tiny white crystals into the pan. A cloud of fine white dust floats up into the air, and momentarily lingers. CHESTER turns to face DELACROIX, and picks her up.)

CHESTER;
(Placing her in the pan)
Well, I don’t know what kind of agreement you had with your old owner, but you poop and pee in here. Ok? I don’t want no accidents...

(DELACROIX crouches down in the litter pan. She digs around for a second, and them firmly plants her butt in the litter.)

CHESTER;
Aww, who’s a good kitty!

(A funny look fills Chesters face)

CHESTER;
(Groaning)
Ohh, who’s a smelly kitty?

(CHESTER lifts his shirt to cover his face. He runs out the room. DELACROIX lifts her butt out of the litter, and hurriedly buries her feces as though to avoid getting caught. CHESTER runs back into the room, and is wielding a purple can.)

CHESTER;
(In an over dramatic voice)
Be gone lingering poop odour!

(He undos the can, and starts spraying it. A fine cloud of mist fills the air.)

CHESTER; 
(Breathing deeply)
Much better. 

DELACROIX:
(In agreement)
Miow. 

EXIT SCENE. 

MONTAGE - “Happy Together” by Gerard Way feat Ray Toro. 

(CHESTER and DELACROIX cuddling on the couch.)

(CHESTER roaming through the streets with DELACROIX in winter)

(CHESTER twirling in a circle holding DELACROIX in the air in a park on a sunny day)

(DELACROIX sneaking out of the apartment while CHESTER is sleeping as leaves fall from the trees)

(DELACROIX returning after a short period of time with several other cats)

(CHESTER waking up surrounded by cats, laughing)

(DELACROIX nursing some kittens)

(A bearded CHESTER breaking into a pet store with his herd of cats as snow falls again)

(CHESTER packing up his stuff)

(CHESTER loading it into a dump-truck)

(CHESTER moving into the pet store with dozens of cats)

(A sweaty older CHESTER with a sledgehammer knocking down the walls at a pet store)

(CHESTER hauling an oversized chair into the pet store)

(CHESTER setting traps throughout the city)

(CHESTER at an electronics store, stealing movies, cds, cords, and a projector)

(CHESTER taking cats out of the traps with DELACROIX, and bringing them “home”.)

(CHESTER tacking a large white sheet up on a wall)

(CHESTER stealing a generator)

(CHESTER hot wiring a gas truck with cats following him)

CHESTER running extension cords out of the store and to the generator)

(CHESTER driving around with his cats in the gas truck)

(CHESTER returning to the store, and parking the gas truck beside the generator, and connecting the two)

(CHESTER taking pictures of all of his cats)

CHESTER laughing, and playing with his cats)

(CHESTER sitting in the chair, watching something in the distance, surrounded by hundreds of cats, getting older by the second, with the cats changing colours/positions. It abruptly stops on the image of a very very old CHESTER, with a really really big beard, surrounded by thousands of cats. He lets out a weary breathe, and shuts his eyes as the song ends)

END OF MONTAGE 

FADE TO BLACK. 

ROLL CREDITS. 

I have been working on this screenplay for 3 months, so please, PLEASE let me know what you think about it. It is my intentions to film this, but I don’t want to if y’all think it’s shit.

I loved the montage at the end...I also like the idea of a guy who sleeps through the apocalypse.

Does Chester remember anything from before the coma?

Don't forget to keep each character's voice up...it really lends to their characterization. Otherwise, great job! I wish I could see the film.