Lee Fudge

Nice!

Self Proclaimed Anime And Manga Expert

Any feedback is great.

Dio Brando, A Character Study (Part One)

1
Spoilers for JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure Parts 1 below.

Dio Brando, a character who, despite being the actual personification of evil, is one of the most popular characters in the JBA community, and the source of many, many, memes. Heck, I love him, he’s my profile picture on this site. But...I have to wonder...why do I, and many fans and meme enthusiasts, love Dio so much? 

That’s what I’ll try to figure out today. 

So, let’s start with his debut in Part One, Phantom Blood, which takes place in the 1870s. Starting off his introduction to the series, we see a comparison of his life to the main protagonist, Johnathan Joestar, (get it..? JoJo?). You see, due to being a ‘trader’ George Joestar, Jonathan’s father, and the other Joestars are crazy rich. To contrast this, Dio is stupid poor, along with having a dead mom and an alcoholic father. 

So, a little ways in, Dio’s father, Dario, dies, but before he does, he gives Dio a letter, saying to give it to George Joestar. Basically, Darius saved George’s life many years ago, and George was all like, ‘I owe you my life!’, and so to pay that debt, Dio was sent to live with the Joestars. Before he does though, he goes to his father’s grave, and goes on this rant on how much he hated his dad’s guts. Like, this dude spits on his dad’s grave. 

So Dio goes off to the Joestar mansion on a carriage, and gets out by literally jumping out the door (JoJo characters are extra AF), and meets Jonathan for the first time! How does that work out? Well, Dio kicks Jonathan’s dog, Danny, for a reason I can’t remember, but I think it was because it got to close to him? It was stupid, whatever the reason was. 

So JoJo’s reasonably upset, but it gets worse. Dio shows George Dario’s letter, and immediately decides to let Dio live with them. And Jonathan, being a good sport, tries to make friends, then gets punched. Dio then tells him to leave him alone, and keep his dog away from him (In his own words, “I hate mangy mutts”).

This is where we see Dio’s confidence, and I think that’s why so many like him. Confidence is a good trait to have in any situation, and Dio shows this by basically stating he can take Jonathan in a fight.

So, Dio wants the Joestar fortune, and after getting adopted, the first part of the plan is underway. Dio starts to ruin Jonathan’s life, you know, as you do. He starts by beating him in a boxing match, wand after he wins he tells everyone in the area Jonathan can’t keep secrets. Now, due to everyone being litterly twelve, this makes it so no one wants to talk to Jonathan. Expect one person, Edina Pendleton. She gives him some grapes, so Jonathan immediately falls in love. 

The two go on outings together, and Dio starts to notice Jonathan is oddly happy, despite being hated by everyone in town. Dio finds out that it’s because of Erina, and being a resonable strategist, he kisses her, stealing her first kiss, which now can’t be Jonathan (This is where Kono Dio Da comes from). This makes her upset, one because she got forcibly kissed, two her first kiss will never be Jonathan, and three, because she washed her mouth out with nearby water, she got kicked by Dio.

Now, Jonathan finds out, and he’s like, MEGA pissed off at this point, so he goes to Dio, who thinks he’ll win. He gets punched in the face, giving him a massive nosebleed (it’s anime), and for the first time, Dio loses his cool. He pulls out a freaking knife out of nowhere, then George comes out, and he’s in an area where he can’t see said knife. Geogre is all like ‘Jonathan, you’re grounded, cause you fought a man who couldn’t defend himself’ and Jonathan runs off to cry in his room. As a so called punishment, Dio puts Danny the dog in a furnace, killing him.

Now, I’m ending this character study here for now, this is getting long. I think I’ll do a second part.

• Lee Fudge

Also it was some sort of furnace? Or an incinerator, I can’t remember.

• Lee Fudge

Kono Dio Da!

• Dreamin' Corner

Dio hated Jonathan so much he stole Erina's first kiss and laughed oh my god.. XD it kinda was funny!

• Dreamin' Corner

i cant forgive you Dio, burned innocent Danny in the burning thing. (forgot what its called)

• Dreamin' Corner

My big sis loves jojo so i watched it. it was okay!