Joseph Reza

Anything that I can improve on and how it impacted them.

The Bad Side Of Food

Have you ever looked at a plate and thought, what exactly am I putting into my body?  Food that is natural is healthy but it is what we humans put into it that makes it unhealthy.  For example, diabetes come to people because of the amount of sugar that is added into food, but too much sugar is barely scratching the surface on unhealthy food.  Unhealthy things that are bad for us, but still put into food are artificial colors/flavors, potassium bromate, brominated vegetable oil (BVO) and azodicarbonamide (ADA).

The red color, red dye 40, inside a cherry popsicle or strawberry lollipop is not natural.  Red dye 40, or FD&C 40 is a synthetic dye made from a man made chemical formula.  This chemical risks range from food allergies to even cancer (What is Red Dye 40? ADHD And Brain Health | Amen Clinics).    "These dyes can be used in foods sold in Europe, but the products must carry a warning saying the coloring agents “may have an adverse effect on activity and attention in children.” No such warning is required in the United States,"  (New York Times).  This shows that our society knows about the health risk of these foods, but they are doing nothing about it.

The soft doughy and white pizza crust doesn't just come from flour.  The thing that makes the pizza like that is potassium bromate.  "Research on Cancer considers it a possible human carcinogen, and the Center for Science in the Public Interest petitioned the F.D.A. to ban it nearly 20 years ago," (New York Times).  This shows yet again that we know how this is bad for us and it is still allowed inside our food and into our body just for the look, and texture.  

How is the carbonation and flavors mixed together in your soft drink?  The answer is brominated vegetable oil (BVO).  This prevents the separation of the flavors and carbonation.  "It contains bromine, the element found in brominated flame retardants, and studies suggest it can build up in the body and can potentially lead to memory loss and skin and nerve problems," (New York Times).  The drinks we drink have danger just so they can be good tasting.  I would rather just drink water then risk losing my memory for a soft drink.

Bread isn't naturally white.  One factor to make the bread white is azodicardonamide.  "Azodicarbonamide, or ADA, which is used as a whitening agent in cereal flour and as a dough conditioner, breaks down during baking into chemicals that cause cancer in lab animals," (New York Times).  We consume something that causes cancer and even though studies have shown that it is dangerous we just keep on consuming it.  "It is used by many chain restaurants that serve sandwiches and buns," (New York Times).  Even though it is dangerous it is still used so much.

My mother always stresses on us eating healthy.  We shop at healthy places, like Trader Joe's, and have to miss out on many kinds of food at parties.  I always wondered why we were stopped from eating certain foods, so I did this essay to find out why.  It turns out there is a valid reason on why I am not allowed to eat certain foods.

Why is it that all of these dangerous foods are banned in Europe and not in the U.S.?  These foods cause us cancer.  Maybe a cure for cancer is taking the first step to eliminating things that cause cancer.  So next time you are going to bite into a red velvet cupcake or white soft, fluffy bread think first on what the effect will be on you.