0d54a4f2 09ca 458c 87ad eb2f4c6f8814

|r|A|i|N|

“ending a sentence in a preposition is something up with which i will not put.”

draft ii

the sun is set but all i see are the spaces between the stars

22
and i’m watching the blood
in the sunset—smothered red
(like the cuts in my toes from
rough pool corners or pink twisted 
shells on the fat spiky shore), sun
descending from a splattered ink
sprawl, the fiery orb going slow and
then fast in the impenetrable drop—
a waning disco, a clambering countdown
(like new year’s day, like every day
was a new year, gone again as the
tide washes the colors away).  
so it sets but all i see are the spaces
between the stars, smelling gory ocean
air hot as hellfire, feeling chapped lips
like burnt parchment as a tongue passes over,
tans like strips of cardboard that cost
raw salmon rashes.  “the sky is blue”
but the ocean is bluer, a hasty murderer that
sent salt spewing down my pinkened throat
and into the world inside, little mollusks
that burrowed into my wrenching stomach,
burning like the orb.  but the sun is set.  
so it is.

• pencils.and.paper.roses

In response to your comment, yes I am Budding Mae! :D just wanted to change my name for a while.

• |r|A|i|N|

thank you!!!!

• Pi_Pen

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! How do I even describe such a poem??? The description, the metaphors, AGHALHSGAG! I love the use of the parentheses to compare the sunset to other moments of life, so stunning- a surprisingly accurate description of how the human mind tends to wander. I also love the title... though it's not part of the poem, it doesn't express less than a verse of the piece itself. Truly, incredible work.

• JCWriter

This is amazing! I love clear, vibrant imagery in poems, and you've definitely accomplished that here.

• Plausible.Poems

Great!

• |r|A|i|N|

@loveletterstosappho thank you so much!!
    @ellie! yeah, this is one you’ve reviewed haha. i tend to change the titles of my poems from time to time depending on what fits. thanks for the grammar confirmation; i think there are some weird exceptions for indefinite pronouns but i’m pretty the one you suggested is correct.

• Ellie!

Haha, I was only looking at the title so I legit just realized that this is a poem I reviewed with a new name. 'florida seems so blue these days' or something like that, right? I like the new one and it fits the poem well

• Ellie!

The title is correct. If you were to say "the space between stars" then the title would be "the sun is set but all i can see is the space between stars." However, using "the spaces between stars" your grammar is fine.

• loveletterstosappho

your description and use of parentheses make my heart ache-- i think my favorite lines are "(like the cuts in my toes from/rough pool corners or pink twisted/shells on the fat spiky shore)" and "'the sky is blue'/but the ocean is bluer, a hasty murderer that/sent salt spewing down my pinkened throat" and i also really love the use of "mollusks" rather than a word that's more common (e.g. snail)