Taylor Winkler

Violent Video Games Are Not Related to Violence in Real Life

In recent years there has been violent video games that have been criticized and blamed for the violence and mass shootings of today. Parents think that every mass shooting and violence is caused by violent video games. I think that is completely false. Personally I think that violent video games are a way to vent anger and stress.
This will sound morbid, but I enjoy blowing people up with missiles and shooting their heads off in video games. It relaxes me. I’m not going to go out to Walmart and doing that in real life. I don’t like violence, but I like them in video games and in movies. Sure, there are rare cases of violence because of video games, but that is very rare. He shot a kid, he must play GTA, she snapped a kid’s neck, she must play Mortal Kombat. Video games are a way to leave the world you are in and do things you normally would not do.
An article by www.theguardian.com said that new research of the effects of violent movies and video games has found no long-term links with real-life violence “Major new research into the effects of violent movies and video games has found no long-term links with real-life violence
The same article later says that, “The perpetrators of the 1999 Columbine High School killings, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were said to have been obsessed with violent games such as Doom, while Anders Behring Breivik claimed to have played the military shooter Call of Duty in preparation for the killing of 77 people in Norway in 2011. In January 2013, Obama called for research into the effects of violent games after the Sandy Hook school shooting in Connecticut the previous December.”
Even though those people have been playing those violent games, it does not mean that they kill because of it. I believe they were depressed and the video games they played where not to prepare them to kill people, but to help with their depression. Those games did not work. Whatever was wrong with them, was not because of video games. Some of the violent video games and movies are a simulation of horrifying events and situations.
Battlefield is a war simulator, it shows you somewhat of the military life, Call of Duty does the same thing. It isn’t promoting that you should go and kill someone, It is just another form of entertainment. Therefor games is not directly linked towards mass violence.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/nov/10/video-games-violent-study-finds

• Jeremy Houle

Interesting view! I definitely see what you mean.