Sketchbook

I would just generally like to know what peers thing of this piece. Any suggestions, worded kindly, are welcome!

Controversy of Food

Food is a very controversial topic. I mean, think about it: there’s so many different views of food. What’s truly healthy and unhealthy? Which fad diets actually work? Eating food is required for a healthy diet, yet, too much or too little can lead to diseases. How can something  so helpful, and necessary, be so harmful?
Obesity is one of the most common diseases in the United States. It presents itself as an individual being severely overweight. This disease develops when someone eats much more than they should. It develops quicker if the victim is not physically active. Over thirty percent of adults in the U.S. are obese. Though the numbers are only rising. It is predicted that, by 2030, over half over American citizens will be obese. Obesity not only cases its victims to have a hard time moving and completing daily tasks, but it makes you twenty percent more likely to health issues such as diabetes and heart problems.
One of the best, and most common, ways to treat obesity is to go on an exercise and diet plan. Though, what diets actually work? Most diets leave the person hungry; this causes the person to give in or binge eat without realising. Alongside this, some diets include unhealthy habits that can lead to eating disorders. Any diet takes a lot willpower, though it is difficult to decode which are good or bad in the long run. Over seventy percent of adolescents and adults in the U.S. have reported going on a diet in their lifetime. However, less than fifteen percent would say this diet was long term successful.   
On the other end of this, anorexia is a leading disease in adolescents and adults. Though, children as young as seven have recently been developing his disorder. Anorexia is a mental illness, causing its victim to not eat. Typically, the individual suffering would hear a voice in their head telling them not to eat. This is even more dangerous than obesity. Though they both have very high rates for adopting other diseases, anorexia effects occur at a very drastic rate. Over thirty million people suffer from an eating disorder everyday in the U.S. alone. Every sixty-two minutes someone dies from an eating disorder. They are very deadly, having the highest mortality rate of any mental illness.
Media has a very large impact on people having healthy lifestyles. Companies such as: Mcdonald’s, Burger King, Wendy’s, etc. promote their unhealthy products in many ways. Some of their promotions are through: the internet, television, and magazines. This marketing is very persuasive, drawing its viewers into consuming the unhealthy foods. Though, media can be used in the complete opposite manner. From a young age, people will often compare themselves, and their bodies, to those of models and other important figures. They want to look like them. However, due to different body types, not everyone can naturally look like certain models do. Some people are naturally built bigger, or with more muscle, and some are thinner. However, a lot of people do not understand this; they will do anything to be thin and look like their idol/ideal body. On top of this, there are bad influences, such as pro-ana sites (websites or blogs that share tips on anorexia and how to get thin quickly. These are very unhealthy.), that draw victims deeper into the disorder. On the middle ground, there are a lot of diet and exercise plans shared on the internet. Almost all of them will say they are healthy, but very few are.      
People are expected to live healthy lives and take care of their bodies. However, is there a realistic, clear, and healthy amount of food for someone to eat everyday? The same question can be asked for exercise. Do you know what you need to have a balanced diet? Most do, but don’t follow it. This needs to be fixed. Though, will it? Only time will answer that.