WannabeYourEndgame

Computer Engineering Student, Aspiring to be an Animator and a millionaire.
Hobbies include Painting, Drawing, Singing, Writing, that's it, I guess. Also, I am funny, I think. I Love Anime, Marvel and DC Comic Universe.

Okay, this is my first published piece on this site. Be gentle with me! All structural criticism is welcome, since I am liable to have committed more than a few mistakes.
Give me your honest opinion, everyone!

EAT, DON'T PRAY, LOVE

I scream you scream, let’s all scream, for ice cream!
So true, it hurts. But we are not here to scream for Ice-cream, even though I wouldn’t have minded that. For early men, Food was just the means to an end, the end being their survival, of course. With wild carnivorous saber-toothed tigers and wild boars roaming around freely and an underdeveloped brain to seal the deal, it was pretty hard, survival that is. Never mind that, over the thousands of years following Stone Age, humans have come a long way, like a really long way. Food, which once used to merely be a means for survival, has now just like humans, evolved to become an integral part of the Social World of the modern humans. Not only is food a part of etiquette but is now considered a legitimate art. Interestingly, you will find that the food culture of one place is always different from that of another place. Now, this is mainly because the cuisine and recipes native to a place is always based on three factors, which are; first, the availability of raw ingredients from the local area; second, climate and the type of soil around that particular place; third, mood and temperament as well as the taste of the locals. 
Why? Well, because raw ingredients are what the local recipes are composed of and the climate and soil type determines the vegetation and growth of those raw ingredients. While, the taste of the locals too is usually those recipes which they have grown up eating, they are the ones who make the food popular. There are some who continue to innovate classic recipes and modernize them, since, with time, the taste of people too have changed. Fast Food is an apt example to the previous statement. Growth of Food Industry has opened doors to several more career paths in today’s world. For instance, there is a job which involves Beer Tasting; then there’s Food Sampling and other jobs similar to these. You will finds tons of reality cooking contests today as well as Travel and Food T.V. shows, the judges in the prior and the hosts of the later make a killing with their salaries from such shows. Cakes and Bakeries have their own brand of careers, there’s Fondant Artist, then there’s Cake Sculptor too. So, Food has developed substantially, specially in the last decade or two. Restaurant Owners and Chefs are incredibly creative and hard-working nowadays, they are constantly revolutionizing recipes and simple food into their World Class variant.
This evolution of food is not limited to the western world but in fact is easily visible in the rest of the world as well. But let’s cut down the chase to where I’m getting at, I am referring to a developing Asian country of which I am native to. 
India, there you have it folks, I am an Indian but I watch “MasterChef  U.S.” and “The Great British Bake-Off”, so sue me. Kidding, don’t sue me, because I don’t think my mother will let anyone bail me out. Well, I watch a ton of cooking shows, occasionally something Indian as well but since my mother and I watch T.V. together, we don’t see them much ‘cause, there wouldn't be anything which my mom wouldn’t already know. Another interesting thing I’ve observed is that, in all those foreign shows, I saw to my amazement that many foreign dishes possess at least one Indian counterpart, which have different titles but more or less the same raw ingredients.
Now, I don’t know for sure if it is for biased reasons but, Indian cuisine will always be the closest to my heart. India has 29 states and 7 union territories. Each one of them has their own culture, traditions, fashion, language/dialect, rituals and of course Food! I don’t think any other country can provide such a variety or range of delicacies. Plus all these delicacies are as different as chalk and cheese. 
One of these 29 states is, Bihar, where I was born and am currently situated at. Now earlier I stated that there are only three reasons causing the difference in cuisines around the world, well for Bihar and India in general, there used to be one more determining factor. The Kings, Emperors, Rajas, Maharajas and Rulers also played a key role in development of cuisine in Ancient and British India. These kings often requested (read ‘ordered’) their royal cooks to cook something new for them. If the cook’s new dish pleased the King, then all well and good, but if not……then, let’s just say the poor cook’d most probably be looking for a new job in town the next day. Bihar, earlier called “Patliputra” used to be the greatest city in the segmented ancient India. Many toils and hard work of  Kautilya or should I say Chanakya later, it came to be ruled by “Chandragupta Maurya”  (reign: c. 321 – c. 297 BCE) who united the entire India, under one banner to save it from the clutches of “Alexander the Great”.
Chandragupta, like any other Indian king was a good ole’ foodie. Under him, many reforms in art as well as  architecture took place and new recipes were invented. 
Bihari food culture consists of  many lip smacking delicacies such as, ‘Litti-Chokha’ (Bread-cake filled with ground pulses, cereals, salt, chopped onions, coriander, garlic and ginger served with Mashed potatoes and eggplant), ‘Gud ki Kheer’ ( Jaggery  flavored Rice porridge); ‘Thekua’ (Dry sweet made of wheat flour, melted sugar and clarified butter); ‘Khichdi’ (One pot meal consisting of seasonal vegetables); ‘Gujiya’ (Sweet deep-fried dumpling made with wheat flour or semolina, chopped dry fruits and thickened milk lumps); ‘Malpua’ (Deep fried pancake); ‘Tilkut’ (Sweet made with sesame seeds called ‘Til’ in hindi) & ‘Anarsa’ (Pastry like snack made with jaggery, rice seeds, poppy seeds and clarified butter).
Bihari  street food culture includes  ‘Sattu’ (a savory drink as a porridge); ‘Ghugni’ (Dried Yellow Peas cooked with spicy gravy); ‘Khaja’ (Sweet made with wheat flour, sugar and oil); ‘Kebab’ (Mouth- watering grilled meat seasoned heavily with spices); ‘Balushahi’ (Desert made with wheat flour, sugar and clarified butter); ‘Shikanji’ (an Indian lemonade variant which includes ginger juice, saffron, cumin powder and salt); ‘Pitha’ ( rice flour dumplings filled with boiled pulses)  & Godia Litti ( a variant of ‘Litti’). 

Most of  these popular delicacies are vegetarian dishes since many hindus in India are sworn vegan people. But still, the cuisine includes both vegetarian and non-vegetarian items. Many of these are prepared especially for the festivals Bihari people celebrate every year. The staple food of Bihar is undoubtedly un-whitened wheat flour. The cuisine of Bihar is more or less largely similar to North Indian cuisine but has influences from other western cuisines. The dishes are all seasonal, though. 
Okay, that about sums up the entire Bihari cuisine. I, for one, am a fan of most of the dishes mentioned above. The assorted items are dishes foodies, like me, dream about.
Certainly not bad for a place where people like to think of crow shit as a good luck sign, right?

Just Kidding…….No, not really. 
This reminds me of a funny story which I had intended to write about in the first place. 
**(Smacking my hand on my face).

• WannabeYourEndgame

Thanks, man. I appreciate it. If you wanna read more then you can check out my other piece on the Op-ed prompt. I would love to hear your input. I was really happy to hear....I mean.....read it on this one. Talking about prompts, will you write a story for the fantasy one? Hmm..?

• queerquotes

I love this! I can't wait to read more of your writing! Also, thanks for your review and I love your profile.