Grace Ow

Since I was young, I was a voracious reader and had a deep love of words and the way they could be used to convey meaning. I hope that my words and my stories would have a positive impact on others.

Every face that we see in a crowd has a story behind it. I am trying my best to listen, tell and share all the stories that I can.

Polarised

We live in a world of drama. A world of headlines. A world of ALL CAPS, where everything is a bad reality TV show waiting to happen. As I open my phone and glance at the different perspectives offered, a wave of fatigue sweeps over me, as I survey the buffet of opinions. The Internet has given every person a voice, and it has become the manifestation of all-you-can-eat noise. Having chosen to not have social media, I find it a challenge to check traditional news, because often I find that I only find pieces, but not topics. It helps me to find what's informative, but not what's relevant. We live in an era where the highlight is not the event, but the conversations revolving it. So I consume the courses of meals set before me in a variety of flavours- sweet, sour, bitter and salty. I talk to family and friends, and seek not to just find their thoughts, but the heart behind it, especially if it's not a position I agree with. Often what I see are black and white opinions, two shouting masses blasting propaganda from their speakers to one another and failing to change their minds. It's in this era, where we need to listen to one another and find a solution that works with the greyness present in our world. 

• May 20, 2019 - 8:46am (Now Viewing)