Madison Herbeck

Is Cheer a Sport?

“No it’s not!” “Yes it is!” Personally I do not believe that cheer is a sport. Now we could get into the big debate about how cheer is or is not a sport, but by being a current GFC hockey cheerleader, I’m here to tell you the reasons why I think cheer is not a sport.
    Have you ever considered what the word cheerleader actually means? Well, the dictionary definition is, A cheerleader is a member of a team that performs synchronized cheers and dance routines, usually from the sidelines of a game. This tells us that cheerleaders do not participate in any competition, but perform cheers on the sidelines of games. Cheerleaders are promoting school spirit at school organized events. Cheerleading is equivalent to say, bowling or billiards. If you are a cheerleader, you cheer for a sport. You do not cheer to compete.
    Most cheerleaders I know would say that cheer is a sport, but they’d only be talking about the competition aspect of it. Everybody has their own opinion but most would say that cheer is a sport during competition months. I do agree with that. Cheer would be considered a sport during that time, because of winning medals and trophies and competing against other cheer squads. Competition is based on skill and work ethic and how you work as a team to win against other teams or schools. Except cheering at a football, hockey, or basketball game would not be considered competing against other teams for a win or loss in a sport.
    Now how about the word sports? The dictionary definition of a sport is: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. This says that sports are competitive against each other by using teams or singles. If you are involved in a sport, using the dictionary definition, you would be considered a competitor. When you cheer for a sport you are encouraging your team to do better, but when you cheer you do not win or lose against any one team.
    The last word I want to remind you of is, athelete. The dictionary definition of an athlete is: A person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise. This is telling us that cheerleaders are considered athletes, but so are bowlers and pool players. Cheerleaders are great athletes, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they are in a sport. Referring back to the definition of a cheerleader, stating that they cheer on the sidelines of games means that they are not physically competing against anyone or any team. Cheer is a physically demanding activity that requires long hours and practice. Therefore, cheer, in my opinions and reasoning, is not a sport.