Pavi Thangaraj

United Arab Emirates

#lightning#fire#indianthroughandthrough#it'sallinthename#presentinsanewriter#futurearchitect#readytobuildthefuture.

The world is small, papers are limited, and my hands even smaller. However, words remain forever. Being an amateur young writer, using words as a sword to transform the world for the better. For the saying goes, a pen is mightier than a sword.

The Hunger Games

"Chaval Dena", or 'can I have some rice' is a phrase I hear when troublesome aunties come home. Why? Because Sharing is caring. This principle is very much prevalent in my India. I see a lot of jokes about troublesome Indian neighbours who don't buy anything and instead borrow from their neighbours. But trust me, it's not humorous in the least. Jokes apart, even neighboring countries trouble each other demanding food. The desert countries in Asia import all their food from countries like India. But what will happen when our neighbor runs out? What will happen when the whole world is indulged in an endless famine? Some may laugh, "Pfft! Why will food run out in the world?". Would anyone in the 1900s believe our ozone layer could have a hole? Would anyone in the 1940s believe that global warming and not world wars is the threat to humanity? Hence, the actual question is not 'Can it happen?' But 'What are the causes and How to prevent this?' 

India - the land of rich biodiversity. India is a green land where agriculture, with its allied sectors, is the largest source of livelihoods in India. 70% of its rural households still depend primarily on agriculture for their livelihood, with 82 percent of farmers being small and marginal. Indian vegetables, fruits, cereals, pulses and spices are famous throughout the world. The Indian land is blessed, for it being fertile and extremely productive. But recently, food scarcity is very much prevalent here too.
Farmers, the very people who produce food, go to bed with empty stomachs. Cornered in debt traps, many farmers committed mass suicide in order to claim insurance for their families. No farmer wants his children to do farming. We are now headed to a future which may have only scientists and engineers and doctors, who will starve without farmers.
A bigger problem is land availability. With the ever increasing population and higher life standards comes the housing crisis. This results in a lot of fertile agricultural land being taken for construction. India presented the most melon-cholic example for this - the development of the city, Amaravathi. One of India's states, was divided into 2 different states a few years ago. Hence the new state needed a new capital city, which is Amaravati. The vision and designs for the new city is indeed marvelous, but at the cost of thousands of acres of rich farmlands. Located at the banks of a bountiful river, this land is one of India's agricultural landmarks. But now the farmers will stand aside and watch people live in high skyscrapers, built on their land, while they die of starvation in small huts, deprived of their primary source of income. 

'To eat is a necessity. To eat intelligently, is art!' - Francois de la Rauchefoulcoud

Food is every human's birth right, irrespective of whether they have money or not. On one hand we have people wasting about 30% of their food and on the other, about 795 million people in the world don't get anything to eat. That's about one in nine people on earth. World hunger and chronic hunger have become synonyms for most underdeveloped and developing countries. It seems like people don't carrot all. 

How to prevent this? Waiving off loans for farmers is just a temporary solution. Farmers should instead be helped with better quality seeds, modern infrastructure and capitals. Wastelands and dumping grounds can be used more productively, hence sparing agricultural land. People should manage food better, hence reducing food waste. Every child has heard this dialogue from their parents at some point in life - 'Do you have any idea how many children die of hunger while you have the option to refuse food? Finish the bittergourd fast.' Though this catch phrase is very much mocked, it is a cruel truth.

Even Shakespeare shakily admitted - "I will give all my fame for a pot of ale". 

Americans don't like eating snails... Because they like' fast food'. However if we continue this trend of ignoring agriculture and wasting food, there will be no choice; the imminent food crisis will be unbeerable. So lettuce turn up the beat and save ourselves from hunger. Thyme is running out, better late that never. If not, our last option is friend-chip with the universe. The rings of Saturn and the moons of Jupiter are way more than the planets can handle alone. When earth runs out, shall we become their annoying neighbors?