Daisy

-Musician
-Big sister to 5 younger siblings
-Baking enthusiast
-Book addict
-Swimmer
-Aspiring author
-Member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

I'd like to hear your thoughts on my piece!

For Good

I wake up to my alarm clock. It's 5:30. I groan and start getting ready for school. No one else is up yet, so I eat breakfast by myself. As I eat, I get out my phone and open Instagram. As I scroll through my feed, I stop and read a quote: "Choose, everyday, to forgive yourself. You are human, flawed, and most of all worthy of love." -Alison Malee. I smile and finish my breakfast. Every morning, my cousin gets up and posts a quote. It might be spiritual, inspirational, or just silly, but he always posts a quote. Those quotes help me have great start to my day.
      My family is spread out across the globe. We only get to see each other  about once a year--sometimes not even then. Social media lets us stay caught up with each others' lives. We can help them through hard times and celebrate with them during good times. We can share pictures and videos and so much more. This really helps us stay strong as a family.
     A lot of people I know say that social media helps them so much in their lives. Everyone is fighting their own battles, and sometimes it gets too hard to fight it alone. Social media allows people to reach out and support each other, even if they can't be there in person. It lets people share their own struggles so that people know what others struggle with.
    Social media allows for an even broader gallery for creativity. Young artists, musicians, and dancers can start sharing their talents with the world long before they can be professionally recognized. It even lets new art forms be created! Beginners can receive encouragement, and professionals can receive support. I have a friend who is really into photography. He is always whipping out his camera to take pictures of a rusty bike, or a flower blooming. About a year ago he started a photography account on Instagram. He now has 200k followers, and he has gotten some jobs!
    I recently discovered a passion for baking one day when a friend sent me a picture of a beautiful cake. I thought, I want to be able to make something like that. I got on YouTube and started watching tons of baking tutorials. I have now made several birthday cakes, each one turning out better than the last. YouTube made it so that I could learn a new skill without the expense of classes.
    "The great thing about social media was how it gave a voice to voiceless people." - Jon Ronson. Perhaps the greatest good that comes from social media is our political speech. Here in America, freedom of speech is one of our most treasured rights. Freedom of speech helps make this country a Democracy that is constantly changing and striving for improvement. Social media help us share our views on government and helps us stay educated on what is going on in the world. It gives a voice to the masses and helps us strive for freedom and equality. Many people think that social media actually hurts politics. They think that only the educated should have a say in government. Well it's true that educated people have a greater understanding of government and laws, they often lose sight of the people they are supposed to be helping. If everyone can't spread their opinions and concerns, then who is going to represent the down trodden? Who is going to bring issues to government officials htat they can't see for themselves? 
   There are a lot of people out there who are constantly telling us to stop using social media. They say that it is damaging people's relationships, and giving them a false idea of the world. I am not trying to say that they are wrong. Social media has certainly done that for some people. I think people should improve there use of social media. It is only harmful when people abuse it. We should all cut back on the time we spend scrolling through our various social medias. We should use it to be uplifting to other. Post the kind of things that will make other people's days. Be that person that brings a smile to everyone's face.
     Social media has its good parts and its bad parts, just like everything else in the world. I believe that it isn't something we should fear, but a tool that we should learn to use. If we let it control us, our lives will be miserable, but we are strong. If we learn to control it, then it will become a tool in our hands to empower us. We can choose to use social media for good.

Sources:

www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/10/07/social-media-bad-minds-young-people-right-maybe-not/738820001/

www.brainyquote.com/topics/social_media