Unnamed

bride124

Writing is a big part of me and my daily life. I want to share it with the world so I joined this website. (P.S: I like followers and to do/receive peer reviews). A INCREDIBLE PIECE: https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/
114991/version/219125

I worked super hard on this piece so I truly hope that it is okay. I would love some feedback.

Being Medialess Seems Like A Good Idea

How much children/adults have been affected by cyber bullying? Wait, don't answer that. Although, I may not be the best person to advocate this issue at hand but I do have something to say. TECHNOLOGY IS EVERYWHERE. In our houses, at schools, in local businesses, anywhere really. Most likely, you are using technology when you don't even know it. Heck, I am using it right now! It is growing, developing, and increasing beyond imaginable! Although there is no problem with people just using their devices sans social media, globally, it can be detrimental to future generations and wreak havoc to our current one, as for younger kids get entranced in the different popular social media platforms. Based on that, I believe that a siesta from all gadgets and social media platforms in this day and age would be a  pleasant and fresh breath of air.

Since 1995, there has been a evident increase in the cases of teen anxiety and depression. In a recent study, via telephone interviews/online, data was collected with nine hundred and twenty teens between the ages thirteen and seventeen. In result, it showed that close to seventy percent of them are cited with depression/anxiety, while being considered as a big problem among other people, with a mere twenty six percent of them have it as a slight problem. When I read the aftermath of the study, I was completely shocked. It is surreal that people around my age have severe mental problems, which led me on a questionnaire convention. Such as: does technology cause teenagers to have depression or anxiety? With eighty-eight percent of teenagers having a phone, and seventy one percent of them using more than one social media site, I figured that the cause of these mental illnesses developing with our young ones must be from the outside world and strangers affecting how teenagers feel about themselves, with every like and comment. The responses from unknown people on the Internet can make a person feel confident and happy with themselves or hurt and insecure about every post they make. I mean, cyber bullying has increased from fifteen percent from 2011! The constant need for attention or validation from the online world can cripple our descendants. But not if we slow down with the digital age movement, exude our inner power/validation, and decrease the percentage of cyber bullying. 

Not only may social media/technology affect your internal state, but also your physical state. Do you know that more than 50 percent of computer users experience eyestrain, headaches, blurred vision, and other visual symptoms related to sustained use of the computer? People who are addicted to social media may experience negative side effects such as social withdrawal or lack of sleep. These platforms can really affect your health negatively. It isn't like there isn't any good things about using the Internet, having a phone, being a user on Snapchat, etc. But if you are very attentive for your eyes, taking a break from technology will lessen the risk of cataracts in the future!

Many will argue and say that social media can induce more confidence for the youth and be more aware of cultures internationally. It can also help with self-development and "provide a good forum to practice skills related to identity development." It seems like a acceptable aspect to consider. While social media can come off as "a positive contribution to their lives," it can also have negative associations with it too. Along with releasing yourself to become more confident, you can get exposed to inappropriate content. Risky online self-presentation increases the likelihood of receiving negative online feedback on social media. With receiving some negative feedback, it can change teenager's sleep cycles, which can lead to depression. Advertisers for sexual content, alcohol, and many other unhealthy products can also easily reach children and adolescents through these new media and socially pressures them to try it out. 

In conclusion, a recess from social media sounds truly promising. Usually without a audience, individuals can actually grow better, more effectively than any other social media platform you will ever use. Without having to please virtual strangers, you can deflect peer pressures and figure out the approach you want online. But the truth is that there are two audiences. One that is filled with your true family and friends, who support you no matter what, who you spend your time while having limited screen time, with healthy eyes and a lessen risk of depression or one where the audience is full of unknown people all over the world, complete with both enthusiastic users and pure haters, trolling online to tear your feelings and self esteem apart. Now there is one choice to make: What audience do you want? 

• PureHeart

You'vemade some very good points in this piece. This really needed to be said!

• mason wong

This is a really good piece!!!!!!!!!