Ethan Bennett

Social Media

In high school social media is everything. In the halls kids scroll their feed and in class will do the same thing. Now the tale of the tape with social media is Instagram removing the feature of people being able to see how many likes their getting. A girl in my class went on a full tangent about why would she post if she can't see her likes. Remember when social media was about keeping in touch with people and not about who liked your selfie. I've heard fights go on at my school over followers, and likes. Social media has turned more into a way for teens to get euphoria and some people can't live without it. Social media became a drug to them and they have to be on it and get likes to get their fix. People who care what others think in person are the ones that get addicted to social media. I was raised to be myself and not care what others think and I don't have an urge to get likes or always be on social media. Social media creates a culture that isolates kids. Teens will look up to their favorite celebrities or other teens and wish they had that body, that jawline, or that life. In social media everything is compared to each other. "Psychologically, however, they are more vulnerable than Millennial's were: Rates of teen depression and suicide have skyrocketed since 2011.". Teens are becoming depressed and more suicidal because of social media. All of the comparing leads to them thinking their not good enough for this world and better off dead. This is why parents will prevent their kids from going on social media until they feel their right age. People associate social media risks with sexual predators when just being on social media even as a adult is still detrimental to the health of the user. Social media is a great way to keep in touch and keep pictures of memories that someone may have. It also has many other great things like a way for people to express their opinion , follow the news, and follow their favorite celebrity or whoever they wish.With social media teens are becoming more informed which is a great thing. Teens should be involved in day to day activities that involves their communities and countries. This can lead to a minor issue that is teens may only focus on the bad and feel as if the world is falling apart, and they can't do anything to help. Social media has always had its positives its even opening up job positions for teens that wanna be marketers since they know the social media demographic the best. The issue is when social media becomes more than that. When it becomes a social hierarchy based on how many follows and likes someone gets. That's where the problems begin to arise. When a teen becomes depressed because their post only got 20 likes instead of 50 like their friends. When teens see constant comparing between bodies and lives that it makes them feel unworthy. Social media can be positive but it can also destroy the mental heath of teens all because of likes and followers.

• SurlyWombat12

I couldn't agree more on this--honestly, after a while, it gets so overwhelming and annoying!! Nice Job :)