B493bd15 cb2f 422a 8a56 2193d8b5a721

pencils.and.paper.roses

NERD
Hopeless romantic
Equally hopeless Fangirl™️
16
Early senior
The Lumineers
Kodaline
Bird lover
Fascinated by Great Britain
Love M. Night Shyamalan movies
In love with
James McAvoy
&
Rami Malek
❤️

So yesterday I discovered a film program happening over the sumer. I REALLY want to get in, but I have to get accepted and get the scholarship for it first. These are the essays I had to write for it and they are ridiculously important to me. So if you could review this piece I would be forever grateful!! Thanks so much! :)

PLEASE REVIEW

4
ADMISSIONS ESSAY

Film has been important to me for almost as long as I can remember. From a very young age, I can remember watching movies and TV shows with my parents regularly. Sometimes I would pretend that the characters were my friends. As I got older, I grew out of my imaginary friends, but not the movies. My interests shifted from Dora the Explorer and Elmo’s World to Marvel Studios. I began to recognize certain actors and remember movies I’d seen them in, which was absolutely mind-blowing to a middle school girl.
      In 9th grade, I created a spoof of a nature documentary entitled Joely is The Beast, starring my younger sister. I have to admit that it was awful: our only available camera was my low-quality computer webcam, our only set was the living room, and I was not the best at editing. But it was my first time creating a film, good, bad or otherwise, and I enjoyed it immensely.  One school year after Joely is The Beast was created, that interest resurfaced.
      My school offered a one-semester course in Animation. I had endless ideas and had always wanted to try it, so I took it. It was fun and resulted in several characters and videos, but I wasn’t much good at the actual animating. Though that was the case, I really enjoyed the making of the films, the script writing, even the pre-production/planning stage. It instilled in me a deep respect for the filmmaking industry and an even deeper interest in becoming a part of it. And so my search for a way to do that began.
       I made picture-videos curated from screenshots and photos of my family. I created stop-motion films of cookies being eaten. At one point, I even tried to make a real movie with my sister (my one and only actor), though it never came to fruition. Finally, after a lot of swing-and-a-misses, I got a real idea. But I had no way to put it into action. No funding, no crew, and absolutely no experience.
       I continued my attempts, but got nothing out of it. Eventually I began looking for a program or class that could help me, and I found the Columbia College Summer Program. It sounds like exactly what I’m looking for. As a participant, I can gain experience, inspiration, and maybe even create something while I’m there. And after it ends, I’ll use what I learned to create something beyond what I’ve ever imagined.

SCHOLARSHIP ESSAY

Be the change you wish to see in the world.
     - Matatma Gandhi

Film can be defined as a way of sharing an idea bigger than oneself. Many filmmakers have embraced this way of thinking – Steven Spielberg with Schindler’s List, *Insert Name Here* and *Title*. With my films, that’s what I want to do.
While I’m not aiming for Spielberg-level recognition, I hope that something I’ve made will one day be seen. I hope to forge relationships with like-minded people, people that share my interests. And someday, I hope that something I make will affect a person that watches it.
       Recently, I watched the movie BlackkKlansman, which won several awards at the 2019 Oscars. As I watched I was struck by what was (and still is) happening as well as the director’s boldness at addressing such a topic. When I went to bed that night after watching it, I thought “Holy cow. I want to make something that affects someone as much as this did me.” It changed my perspective on what I wanted to make from my main interests, action or mystery, to a different genre, *I’m not sure what it’d be called*.
       But as just one person in a family of 6, there isn’t much opportunity for this to happen. Most of our budget goes toward groceries, house payments, and bills, with only a small amount left over. The Colombia High School Summer Program would be my greatest resource.
       With it, I would be able to gain experience and inspiration. I could make connection with fellow filmmakers and possibly work together with someone later on. After it ends, I would use what I learned to share an idea bigger than myself, hopefully one that could affect the hearts and mind of people everywhere.

• Ballerina298

I just left a review, so you should see it soon. Nice essay writing! I hope you get into the program.

• Boogie With Stu

I love film making, I'm actually working on a couple of movies myself.