AudienceOfOne

I am
a Child of God
a writer
a reader
a dancer
a volleyball player
a runner
a daughter
a wizard
a demigod
a tribute
I am
Me
"Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one remembers to turn on the light."
Albus Dumbledore

Hello guys!
Something to inspire:
~Psalm 139:14
My Five Life Rules:
Small Dreams are Pointless
Know Who You Represent
Make Decisions For Yourself-not anyone else
Fitting In Is Overrated
Ice Cream Forever
And to quote the forever amazing Hermione Granger:
"We could have been killed, or worse, expelled."
:):):):)

Food with Thought

The human brain can't help but notice the presence of food. No matter what the circumstances, it is as if our brain is programmed to search, find, and consume it. As a growing teenager in American society, I can validate this statement. These are often the topics on my mind: Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. How soon? What is it? Mmmm, that smells good. Can I have some? I am constantly thinking about how to nourish myself, what I want to eat. In America, food has always been, and become even more so, a huge part of everyday life, just like it is in mine. My family, every night at dinner sits down, says grace, and digs in. We come together over food. We talk over food. We laugh over food. In this way, I feel it isn't the food nourishing us, but the sides that come with it. 
My mom often tells a story to me, reminiscing to when I was nearly three or four. She tells how I loved to be around my younger brother. We were like two partners in crime, two peas in a pod. My brother was about one, and he looked up to me as his big sister. I was his only playmate, so he did everything with me. He even learned to like playing with dolls, and often we would play dress up together. And so, one day, as my mom recalls, my brother and I were sitting on the ground. I was playing with a toy, and my brother was eating a snack. Somehow, against my mom's better judgement, she was handing him a cookie. I didn't really notice, nor did I really care. I was quite content playing on my own, and I wasn't in deep desire for a cookie. But, without missing a beat or hesitating, my brother took his cookie, and with his chubby little fingers, broke it in half, and presented one misshapen semicircle to me. As my mother tells me this, her eyes get all glassy, and she looks at my now eleven year old brother with admiration. Now, I scoff and roll my eyes, but I realize that my brother didn't necessarily want the cookie at all. He wanted to share it with me. He wanted to. I think this is something truly incredible, because the motive of food is to eat it, but my brother didn't. He felt the need to give some to his big sister, who I'll admit, wasn't always the nicest to him, and wasn't going to beg for another cookie.   
The question I ask myself when I reflect on this, is how could such a tiny little human grasp and fathom the idea of sharing without command, just to make another person happy? It wasn't because I was starving over there, playing with my Barbie dolls, or because he was too full. It was because he wanted to feel nourished through making me smile. 
In society, we frequently forget what a true joy it is to make another person smile. Too regularly, we focus on only one way to do something, usually for our own benefits. In the same way, we so often are blind in thinking that the only way to nourish ourselves is through endless eating.  But, we are wrong in so many different ways.
Half of the nourishment that comes from food isn't from the ingredients alone. When the dinner table isn't full of silent chewing but jubilant chatter, when a detailed cake bakes in the oven for a wedding-that's what you call real nourishment. Food with thought, not food for thought. My brother that day, he gave me food with thought, and he made me smile. He found nourishment through my happiness. 
Humans can't help but notice the presence of food, but I don't think they notice it just because they want to eat it. Yes, they want to be fed, but I think food is a trigger in our brain that symbolizes something that brings people together. We notice food not only because we want to eat it, but because we want to eat it together. We want to eat food with all the sides, food with thought. I hope that as I go from an American teen to an adult, my love for food will only grow. Well, I have no doubt that I will forever be thinking about when my next meal will be, but what I really hope is that I learn to love and find that nourishment in sharing my food with others. Not just breaking my cookie in half, but enjoying the togetherness that food gives us in society. As for what's on the menu, well today folks, it's food with thought, not food for thought, and I assure you, it brings a whole side of nourishment.