LittleWolf

Just a normal girl trying to follow her heart in this new world.
16
Australian
Dancer, Singer
Equal Rights for All
Can speak limited French and German

Hey there, please comment or give some feedback :)

Homecoming

PROMPT: Returning

3
Can you return to a place that you never left in the first place? Or a place you have never been to before? Is it possible for a person to find a part of themselves in a place that had no meaning to them before that moment? I think so. That place for me was the busy, coagulated streets of London. I never liked cities much. They are grim and dark and have a hungry feeling about them that steals a part of you that you weren't aware of. But not in London.

The streets and lanes were more narrow than any place I had been and yet they didn't make me feel claustrophobic. There weren't many trees that lined the paths, but there were parks of oaks and ponds filled with life. I had never seen so many squirrels and ducks in the middle of a city before, it was an oasis. The history that oozed out of the whitewashed buildings brought up a torrent of emotions that connected me to every cobblestone I walked over. Each bridge I was suspended by brought thoughts of 'Who had been here before me?'

And it was that question that stayed with me, even after I left the country. Who had been under that sunlight that was so different from the light in my home country? Who had sat in the seats at the cafes I had tea at? How many hundreds of thousands of people had looked at the fossils of animals in the museums, the fountains in the parks, the statues outside the Palace? I will never know. I don't think anyone will. But I have now added myself to their number, and I am proud of that.

That city has imprinted itself onto my soul. The sights, sounds, tastes and smells are still so vivid. I cannot place the feeling or the second when that became apparent to me. Maybe when I saw London Bridge at night, or when I at lunch at a pub older than my country by one hundred years. So, I think that even though it may not have been my home town or my grandparents' house, but I have adopted it as my turf, my place. One day, one day I will return to that place and see everything again. I can't wait!

• May 11, 2019 - 1:59am (Now Viewing)