Peer Review by isaacwENG (United States)

Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders are the Same Candidate

By: DavidGCL

Donald Trump: The right wing, xenophobic demagogue who is stirring up racial and ethnic tension. His insults and confident aura are admired by his many supporters, while those who are against him are horrified by his seemingly fascist rhetoric. Bernie Sanders: A far left wing candidate who calls for a socialist revolution in this country, following the example of the Nordic welfare state. He is universally popular with young liberals, offering them free college tuition and redistribution of wealth. On policy, these candidates seem to be as dissimilar as can be. However, they have a lot more in common than one would think. Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders are using the same methods to appeal to the same slice of voters in this election.
Bernie Sander’s supporters are not Democrats, rather they are their own breed of voter. Wildly popular amongst millennials, his supporters are by far the youngest (Wagner, John).  New Hampshire exit polls showed that 83% of voters aged 18-24 voted for Bernie (Bradner, Eric, and Dan Merica). He addresses the issues young people truly care about: healthcare, marijuana legalization, and student debt. His position on issues is farther left than the Democratic establishment would care to venture. In fact, he isn’t even registered as a Democrat. His outsider status has been cemented by the fact that he proclaims himself to be a “democratic socialist”, in a country where “socialist” is used as an egregious pejorative. He shares millennial's anger and frustration toward the political system, and has suggested on more than one occasion that America should learn from countries like Denmark. Bernie Sanders uses the frustration of young voters to empower his campaign and ideals.
Donald Trump… where to begin. His campaign started out small and ridiculed. Politicians dismissed his run as just another ego trip for the Donald. But then he began to grow. And grow. Before the GOP knew it, he became the most likely Republican nominee for the 2016 election. His personality was one of swagger and bravado, brushing off any criticism that came his way. His personal attacks against countless individuals made for great TV, and the media gave him all the attention he wanted. Trump’s bigoted speeches and disdain for the political establishment tapped into the anger of the white, blue collar worker. Donald is not even close to a traditional conservative candidate. He has no clear policies besides on immigration, and even that is disputable.  Yet, these facts seemed to strengthen him.  No matter how many times he lied about facts, it didn’t weaken his campaign. The image of Trump as the ultimate outsider attracted many. He appealed to the emotional side of his voters, tapping into the collective rage against career politicians, the government, and immigrants.
Many people would say Donald Trump bears no resemblance to Bernie Sanders. After all, we are talking about a liberal socialist and a racist. They have repeatedly condemned each other. I will admit that they have very big policy difference. However, Sanders and Trump are approaching this election in the same way. In fact, 8% of Sanders supporters would vote for Trump over Hillary Clinton ( Pilkington, Ed, and Chalabi, Mona) Trump and Sanders both have strong, unorthodox personalities that are entertaining. They are outsiders, who fight against what many americans see as a corrupt political elite. Their populist, exaggerated message appeals to americans who want a change.  They both tap into the anger and frustration of those americans who feel they have been left behind.
Bernie and Donald, while very different on the issues, are pitching the same ideas to the same crowd. Statistically, neither one of these candidates are likely to become the next president. However, win or lose, their campaigns will change politics forever. This 2016 election marks the beginning of an era of “insurgent campaigns”, where personality and promises are more decisive than real policies and experience. This trend will prove catastrophic to American democracy. Do we need to be voting for people who play on our fear and anger? A leader needs to be moderate and actually fix the problems we have, instead of making bogus, unrealistic promises. America needs a leader grounded in reality, not one in fantasy.

Works Cited
Wagner, John. "Young Discover a Champion in Sanders. His Challenge: Get Them to Vote." Washington Post. 28 Oct. 2015: A.4. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 17 Mar. 2016.
Bradner, Eric, and Dan Merica. "Young Voters Abandon Hillary Clinton for Bernie Sanders." CNN. 10 Feb. 2016. Web.
           Pilkington, Ed, and Mona Chalabi. "The Bernie Sanders Voters Who Would Choose Trump over Clinton." The Guardian. Guardian News and Media, Jan.-Feb. 2016. Web. 17 Mar. 2016.
           "SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR DONALD J. TRUMP." Make America Great Again!Web. 17 Mar. 2016.

The subject matter of the piece itself is what draws the reader into the piece. Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump, two people who you'd rarely see in the same sentence, are compared and the author makes the argument that the mediums the two candidates use to communicate their beliefs

The writer approaches his topic in the manner of a moderate democrat, who heavily opposes Trump and finds Bernie Sanders's policies to be unrealistic and seemingly "bogus."

The author takes a logical yet opinionated approach in his argument. The author appears to feel passionately in his belief, and uses outside sources and facts to prove his point. And while the facts are sometimes unconvincing, taken together they urge the reader to follow the author's lead.

I, as a reader, never felt truly compelled to agree with the author. Perhaps I felt unconvinced because the article is devoid of emotion. The only spurts of emotion come in through the authors apparent frustration with the candidates.

While there were some moments of discord and awkwardness, they were sparse and had no major impact on the piece in general.

Wow. Your ability to use words in a intellectual yet humble way was on full display. That skill, using high-level words-- or rather words that the common person might not know, like "pejorative" and others--is hard to master without coming across as arrogant, but you never appeared to have a superiority complex (And for example, when a writer uses "advanced' vocabulary she can often appear arrogant, as if she is trying to tell you that she knows more--you avoided this). Your writing ability far surpasses your age, at least from what I know about your age, and you should just try to hone your skills a little more.

Despite your excellent writing abilities, there were some minor mistakes and edges that can smoothed out in your piece.
Sentence structure is just as, if not more, important then the words you use. You know the words, but you don't seem to know the structure. Organizing and arranging your ideas or which ways are more effective than others is a critical tool in the writer's arsenal. Now, many of your sentences felt just about the same size and followed a similar pattern. Remember, there is no harm in variety.

A good form of variety is merger. Sometimes, two sentences feed off of each other to get better, and you can connect the two with a colon, semi-colon, dash, or a conjunction and a comma. You may want to try this with some of your sentences.

I mentioned earlier that some of your facts failed to compel me. The most notable instance of this was with the phrase "8% of Sanders supporters would vote for Trump over Hillary Clinton."
That number never wowed me. 8% is not an astronomical number. Perhaps you should delve into why that number is important a bit more.