Sashasmith

I'm 18, from Britain, and one day want to be a published novelist!

Any comments are appreciated! Thanks!

The Great Dialect of Cornwall

PROMPT: Local Tongue

0
Deep in the British countryside, where the tip of England meets the sea, is a dialect that is worthy of record in the Oxford dictionary. A dialect (which those from a perceived pronunciation nature like to call a ‘linguistic hullabaloo’ but I prefer to call a ‘lovingly charming lingo’) that seems to be able to break grammatical and pronunciation rules with its unique take on the English Language. I, of course, am talking about the Cornish dialect.

Many know of its infamous ‘my lover’ and West Country twang, but there is one example which I have heard every day when growing up that the rest of the world doesn’t know about:

“See ya dreckly (aka, directly)”.

Who knows where this historic idiom first appeared and what its original denotation was, because now it has become much more than three words. This simple sentence has now become a region’s goodbye, with people shouting it to their friends whom are on the other side of the street. It has now become a region’s “see you soon”, “see you there”, and any other variation where “see” and “you” are in the same sentence. It has become a region’s linguistic pride and joy, because there is nothing that says you’re more Cornish than an ill-pronounced sentenced which makes no sense.