Judithtgcl

Organ Donation

Organ Donation
    On an average, 22 people everyday die from the lack of available organs for transplant. One organ can save eight lives. Donating an organ shows responsibility, Generosity, and happiness. People are dying everyday because there is not enough donors. Usually, your organs would be donated to either the person in the worst conditions, or in alphabetical order. UNOS (United Network for Organ Sharing) Is responsible for who gets the organ first. If you decide to be a donor, you need to make sure you have the same blood type, or else the organ will not function.
    I believe that donating your organ(s) shows responsibility and maturity because you are saving a person's life no matter how hard it is to say yes to donate. For example, let’s say that something happened to you or a family member. Would you want this person to donate an organ? It is scary to think about. But what if it was you or your family member who needed an organ. I cannot speak for these people but I believe they would be desperate. “When I hugged her, I could feel his heart. I could feel it pounding. It was hard to let go.” Denise Wagner recalls. Denise's son died due to a drug overdose. She claims that when she agreed to donate her son's heart, she instantly felt a very close bond with the Adcock’s family.
    Donating an organ is very generous. It is a big decision that can decide whether a person lives or not. It is a big step from being unhealthy to as healthy as possible. George Lopez mentions that after two days from receiving he felt unstoppable and better than ever. His wife Ann quotes “To me, this is about us and our daughter, Mayan”. George Lopez’s wife was very generous to give one of her kidneys to him. She stated that she would do anything for him because she loves him.
The article states that Lopez’s wife Ann remember feeling excited, almost fearless, and ready to get the operation over with. Ann was happy to be able to give her kidney to someone she loves. Some people have it the other way though. Some people donate their organs to complete strangers. They say that they make an amazing bond. First your strangers, then your sharing organs. “At the end of the day, everyone is happy with their decisions”.
Donating an organ can make you feel like a hero. You are saving someone's life! Donating organs does show that you are responsible, generous, and making someone feel so happy. It definitely is not an easy decision but you are not alone. You are not the first nor are you the last.   

Works Cited
Aleccia, Jonel. "'I Could Feel His Heart:' Organ Donor Families Bond with Recipients after Transplants." NBC News. NBC, 27 Nov. 2013. Web. 17 Mar. 2016.
McMillen, Matt. "George Lopez Finds a Perfect Match When the Comedian Needed a New Kidney, His Wife, Ann, Donated One of Her Own." WebMD. WebMD, 2016. Web. 17 Mar. 2016.