MikeyKGCL

Capital Punishment

Capital Punishment
The topic of capital punishment has been talked about for years.  It was first banned in 1972, as it violated the rules of the eighth amendment.  This caused much controversy around the topic.  However, it was brought back in 1976 (Christof, Mendez).  Today, most states have the death penalty in forms of lethal injection.  This is the most commonly used form of capital punishment in the world.  I do not agree with the Supreme Court to allow the death penalty.  I think that it could constitute cruel and unusual punishment, if not carried out correctly.  For example, there was a botched execution in Florida when the man facing death was chosen to lethally injected.  However, it did not kill him immediately after the third drug; instead, he was in extreme pain and died a few minutes later.  I am very glad the Supreme Court is looking into this issue.  I do not believe in the death penalty because it could constitute cruel and unusual punishment if not done correctly, it makes the country look bad, and it does not give the convict time to think about what he/she has done.
The death penalty can be used to “help” the inmate.  When people commit a very bad crime, they often have suicidal thoughts.  For fugitives of the law, dying can be seen as letting go of all their troubles.  The death penalty does this as well.  If the United States executes somebody, they are relieved of their crime by dying.  This does not give the inmate time to think about the crime he committed.  The better solution would be to send the convict to life in prison so he has the time to figure out what he did was a serious crime, and it also never lets him come back into society.  The whole reason that people are imprisoned is that they are a danger to society.
Capital punishment also makes the country look uncivilized and out of order.  The US is one of the top five countries that execute people including, Iran, China, Saudi Arabia, and Iraq (Christof, Mendez).  These countries justify their capital punishment legal because the US has it too.  As a country, we want to be known as a role model, and a leader in the world.  Also, in the last 20 years, more than 100 inmates on death row have been exonerated, or relieved of the death penalty (Christof, Mendez).  This shows the public this country cannot make many final decisions on a serious topic.  However, lately there have been more botched executions than any other time period.  This means either executing the wrong person, or not performing an execution correctly.  Both of these reasons make America look like a country that it is not.
However, people who are for the death penalty could argue the desire for revenge if the convict killed other people.  My argument to this point is that revenge is one of the most lowest human emotions (Brennan).  Although it can be understood, it is not a rational and well-thought-out decision to a problem (Brennan).  If everybody took revenge on anybody who seriously wronged them, the whole world would be in a state of chaos and death.  When one person takes revenge on somebody who killed someone close to them, it just continues the cycle of revenge and avenge (Brennan).  This will ultimately kill the avenger also because someone could take revenge on him/her too.  This is not contributing to the goal to make world peace.
All the reasons I just stated are all traits of a country that is uncivilized and out of order.  The United States is not that type of country.  We should abolish capital punishment because it could lead to contradictions with the constitution, as well as the cycle of revenge.  The death penalty cannot remain the our country simply because it is immoral to kill any person.  Do you want there to be be constant violence and revenge being taken out on people?  I know I would not.  The death penalty could cause just that, and any person their right mind not want chaos either.

Works Cited
Brennan, William J. "Top 10 Pros and Cons - Death Penalty - ProCon.org." ProConorg
Headlines. N.p., 2016. Web. 15 Mar. 2016.
Heyns, Christof, and Juan Mendez. "Time to Kill the Federal Death Penalty." Wall Street Journal.
05 Nov. 2015: A.15. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 15 Mar. 2016.

1