r|A|i|N

"ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which i will not put."

no need to say "sorry for your loss"; i never knew the person who died. i'm just really sad for everyone who has to lose a parent.

power outage // the day life was lost

6
i think you veins were made of electric currents, because
today the outage stifled my house, and i ate breakfast under
flashlights before hearing the news.  it meant nothing to me, nothing
but the greater circumstance, the jolting throb for someone
i'd never known before.  numb fingers on a steering wheel, the car
an empty cavern, and everyone thinking in unison about the
wonder in tragedy, the cosmos in the tears dripped and drunk
in the shortage of light.  first period, the translations of things––
video videre = see; pons pontis = bridgetears = down everyone's
faces and into the textbooks they just can't see
.  so class was
stopped and hallways were filled, filed with sobbing people clutching
one another like cliffs––the lockers were slammed, and for once
the pain of inanimate objects was felt.  science room darkened like
the outage that morning, and the crying people made a jagged circle
and spoke out loud and choked on air.  but i sat a ways away, reading
that book i didn't read, eyes blurring, words inaudible to eyes until
audible again.  i wondered where he was––somewhere, bawling because
his life was changed, wishing for the father he couldn't have anymore.
and everyone missed him––but i had never known him, i just missed
knowing that everyone would be okay, knowing that the world would
forever eternally and immortally be okay.
explanation:
the parent of someone i know from school died of a heart attack this morning.  i hadn't ever met him, but everyone was crying in the hallways at school and eventually a large chunk was taken out of the school day so that everyone could grieve.  that's what this poem is about.  sorry if it's a downer.

• Pi_Pen

This is tragic, the writing expressed that very well, and I love the parallelism with the power outage. The writing is incredibly good, probably because, when writing about a topic important to you, the result reflects that. Great writing, and I'm sorry about what happened.

this feels hauntingly familiar. about a month ago, my fifth grade science teacher died. i only had him for science, but it was still shocking and really sad, and so many of my friends and people i knew had him as their main teacher. school that day wasn't the same. he was a really good guy. anyway, even though it's not the same scenario, this poem describes how i felt, especially, as asteria said, the line "i just missed knowing that everyone would be okay" and "everyone thinking in unison about the
    wonder in tragedy" and "sobbing people clutching one another like cliffs". this isn't my experience but it feels like it was when i read this. your writing never fails to amaze me.

• asteria

"i just missed knowing that everyone would be okay." that line hits hard. we like to pretend that nothing will ever go wrong, that life will keep going in this perfect delusion we have going. but things like this show us that life... isn't always sunshine and rainbows. it hurts, and the only thing we can do about it is try to help others through it. thank you for writing this, friend

& hey, don't ever feel sorry for your piece being "a downer," okay? this is a place to share your writing, and i hope your words can touch someone else. they've definitely touched me