BrentRGcl

One Wrong Move Can Mess You Up For Life

One Wrong Move Can Mess You Up For Life
Have you ever had your parents and your coach bent over next to you constantly telling you to stay awake and that they are here for you. Then finding out that you have gotten a concussion for the brult hit you just took. Then on top of that have to skip practice for two weeks and miss school for a week because it hurts to think; many athletes have. So as the future generation players play the game and more equipment is created there is more risk for concussions to happen to everyone. Along as sports are being played everywhere in the world there are many injuries that happen because the players were caught in the wrong spot at the wrong time. One of the most common injuries a concussion. A concussion is temporary unconsciousness caused by a blow to the head. The term is also used loosely of the aftereffects such as confusion or temporary incapacity.
The danger of the sports around the world is an issue that people over see because they care more about the game than the players; or more about the players performance than the player's health until they get hurt. The people who care sport and the team more than anything can be on the field, even as a doctor, coach, and player. Former University of Georgia fullback named  Merritt Hall exclaimed,”. " The coaches nowadays are from a generation where, if your leg's not cut off, you brush it off and get back in." (Terlep) His season ended when he got multiple concussions and began to show that he could not recover.(Terlep) Why did they wait till Mr. Hall could not recover? They should have said if Hall gets a concussion we should wait till he fully recovered and make sure he’s able to play instead of waiting till he can not even do that. At Georgia, the athletic trainers and doctors ultimately report to the athletic director, but also are overseen by an independent review board and separate team of doctors and medical experts(Terlep). Who are these certain people? Are they doctors, teacher, students, fans, alumni to the school? If they are fans of the football team and let's say people like Mr. Hall was going to be the next big thing everyone would make him play no matter what happens to his health. Just like offensive lineman for Illinois, Simon Cvijanovic , case. He hurt his knee during a game and he recalls,” pleading with coaches and doctors to give his aching legs a rest. The team medical staff seemed to sympathize,” Cvijanovic said “, but ultimately deferred to coaches who told him he needed to stay on the field.”(Terlep) Here is an example of when the coaches tell the player what to do even though the player and the doctors say and think differently. Because of this Mr. Cvijanovic quit the team the next year after his surgery on the knee he injured. This was not the only case where this is proven by some major colleges; this also happened at North Carolina. "Of course when you are in the heat of the game they want the player back as quickly as possible," said Mario Ciocca, team physician at North Carolina, where team doctors report only to administrators within the campus health system and not the athletic department. "But they know this is how it's done here. They let us make our decisions and they don't argue with that (Terlep)." Here is another big school where one of the team's doctors is saying what he did because of the emotions during the games. But sadly, North Carolina is among what Hainline said is a handful of 128 major-college programs that give doctors complete autonomy (Terlep). The NCAA(National Collegiate Athletic Association) chief medical officer at the time, Brian Hainline,  wants rules that require doctors and trainers to operate independently from school athletic departments. Coaches, he says, shouldn't be able to hire and fire team physicians. Right now, most big schools give athletic departments some or all oversight of team medical staffs(Terlep). But these rules that he wanted have not happened. They have gone unheard of. He brought great ideas but because they have not gone through the schools still find ways to do the complete opposite of what they are doing. As the NCAA trys to find ways to help the game grow and help improve everyone involved in the game so it will last long but, there is another organization that the players go in and play after their days in college. More or less into my transition???
Not only does this affect players in college(NCAA) but, it also affects players in the NFl( National Football League). In this case former Quarterback for the Oakland Raiders, Ken Stabler, died at the age 69 to colon cancer. His brain was removed  during an autopsy and ferried to scientists in Massachusetts. It weighed 1,318 grams, or just under three pounds. Which helped understand why his mind seemed to slip so precipitously in his final years. On the neuropathologist's scale of 1 to 4, Stabler had high Stage 3 chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or C.T.E., the degenerative brain disease believed to be caused by repeated blows to the head, according to researchers at Boston University(Branch). As this came in it is shown what so many concussions can do to one man’s mind. He is not the only one who that they found this man made disease to be in, in fact there are the list of names is now well over 100 names long, includes at least seven members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, including Junior Seau, Mike Webster and Frank Gifford (Branch).Infact two of his own teammates were also diagnosed with the same problem. Stabler and Bush talked about it after the 2002 death of the longtime Oakland center Dave Dalby, who mysteriously crashed his car into a tree in a parking lot. It came up again after an event where Stabler saw a struggling John Mackey, the Hall of Fame tight end. Mackey died in 2011, and C.T.E. was diagnosed.This means over the years they have done nothing to not only have they not help the players while they are playing but to also they have not helped the player after his playing days. This shows that the NFl does not care for the players just the game because they would have helped the players that need it most after they are hurt or diagnosed with an injury. The fact that there is over 100 players who have had this shows how dangerous this game is and how they need to fix it. They should create new rules making any player who gets a concussion or any injury must sit out for a game no matter how fast they recover or how much the team depends on the player. Which would lead to different outcomes with players and their behaviors off the field and later in life when their days of playing football are over. The NFl should have a weekly check up on every player making sure nothing is wrong with any of the players. They should also give a test to every team doctor to make sure that he knows what he is doing and that he is there for the players safety and not there for the money. Because the most important thing is the players safety not the actual game ,but the people who play that game. As people start caring for the health of the players many improvements will be made no matter what level of the game they will be playing on.
As the years have passed there are some laws that have helped every player of the game of Football like 43 states passing laws requiring school-age athletes who have sustained a concussion to have written authorization from a medical professional, often one trained in concussion management, before they can return to their sport(Pennington). But that is for players that are in grade 12 and below. The men who play in the NCAA and in the NFl do not have to do this which is completely stupid. They should have everyone do this for everyone is staying safe no matter how bad the concussion is in the first place and what number that concussion was for that individual player. As this issue begins to appeal to the general population's eyes they start to see how bad this is. Doctors nationwide say the new focus on the dangers of concussions is long overdue. Concerned parents are properly seeking better care, which has saved and improved lives. But a confluence of outside forces has also spawned a mania of sorts that has turned the once-ignored concussion into the paramount medical fear of young athletes across the country(Pennington). The country is scared to find out what really is happening when the players hit each other and they are afraid that they will have to change the game or lose the game because the game is too dangerous for anyone to play. Everyone does not want to give up the one sport they love to do and to watch and to play because the truth hurts; and they do not want to go through with the pain of losing a game they love. So yes, there are some great improvements but we are just scratching the surface. The game itself is getting too dangerous for anyone to play.
    No matter what sport you play no matter what equipment you wear there will always be a time where you have to have rules for the player safety with each other not just for the game and the games safety. Then when there are more players playing the game, and more people wanting to improve the game the risk of a concussion increases. So next time you are on the field or just watching people play the game remember that at any point they can get a concussion and it can impact their life from the first one to their fifth one. So at what point when is enough enough, when we must decide to call it quits and say these games are too dangerous for these people to be playing?
                                  Works Cited
Branch, John. "A Magnetic N.F.L. Star, Sapped of Spirit by a Disease of the Brain." New York
Times. 04 Feb. 2016: A.1. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 15 Mar. 2016.
Pennington, Bill. "A New Way to Care for Young Brains." New York Times. 06 May 2013: D.1.
SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 15 Mar. 2016
Terlep, Sharon. "NCAA Health Reform: The Coaches vs. Medics." Wall Street Journal. 09 Jun.
2015: D.6. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 15 Mar. 2016.    One Wrong Move Can Mess You Up For Life

1