JennaLGCL

This may not be my final title.

Do Antidepressants Work?

Depression increases a teen’s risk for attempting suicide by 12 times (“Teen Depression”). Approximately 20% of teens will experience depression before they reach adulthood. Depression, this unwelcome, monstrous disease, crawls inside your head and controls you. Every choice you make, every thought you think, all of it, is not you. It is the depression inside of you. Some people know how to deal with it and get diagnosed early on so they don’t get to the worst stages. But others, including me, didn’t have that. So many people believe children should not be prescribed antidepressant medications. But why would you not? If you are depressed, why would you not take a small pill that will make you able to deal with it easier and make you happier? My doctor prescribed me an antidepressant in grade seven. Now, I am in grade nine and have never been so grateful for something so little. My history, along with so many other teens’ histories, prove why antidepressants should be prescribed if you suffer from depression.
Without antidepressants, I would still be severely depressed. Throughout elementary and middle school, I was bullied. All the words and punches and kicks turned me into depression’s next victim. Eventually, I got to middle school, thinking everything would get at least a little bit better. But this horrible disease, also known as depression, became a reality for me rather than a possibility. The bullying got worse. The verbal bullying, physical bullying, cyberbullying, all different kinds of bullying, put so much pain inside me. The only way I could come up with to end it, was suicide. Thankfully, my friend told the school counselor, who called my parents. I was able to get the help and recovery. The thing that gets me through the day, is an antidepressant. “It has proven to be helpful for children aged over 12, usually in conjunction with other treatments including cognitive behavioural therapy and interpersonal psychotherapy with trained professionals” (Mayoh). This antidepressant saved my life. This antidepressant is the reason I am alive. Antidepressant medications save lives. Prescribing antidepressants and not prescribing antidepressants is a life or death situation. People would not pay their well-spent money to take a pill, if it was not helping them. Although 14% is not a large percentage, the United States Census Bureau says there are approximately 321,368,864 United States citizens. That is a little over 44,991,640 Americans taking an antidepressant. Almost forty-five million people are willing to take a few seconds out of their day to take a capsule.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “More than 60% of Americans taking antidepressant medication have taken it for 2 years or longer, with 14% having taken the medication for 10 years or more” (Pratt). People would not pay their well-spent money to take a pill, if it was not helping them. Although 14% is not a large percentage, the United States Census Bureau says there are approximately 321,368,864 United States citizens . That is a little over 44,991,640 Americans taking an antidepressant. Almost forty-five million people are willing to take a few seconds out of their day to take a capsule.
“ADHD medication can cause nausea and appetite loss, which can lead to growth retardation. Psychosis is another rare but potentially fatal side effect” (Kleinman). This quote is invalid because it is about ADHD medication, not anti-depression medication. ADHD and depression are related, but they are not always diagnosed together. Just because one is prescribed an antidepressant, does not mean they have ADHD also.
For any person suffering from depression, antidepressant medications are vital to get better. There are many experiences involving depression that are helped through the use of antidepressants. It is statistically proven that antidepressants do help, not harm. So call your doctor. Discuss your depression. See if you can get prescribed any kind of antidepressant medication. Take it. It will only work if you take it. It will take less than thirty seconds out of your day. Save your life.
"Teen Depression | I Need a Lighthouse." I Need a Lighthouse. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Mar. 2016.
Pratt, Laura A., Debra J. Brody, and Qiuping Gu. "Antidepressant Use in Persons Aged 12 and Over: United States, 2005–2008." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 19 Oct. 2011. Web. 15 Mar. 2016.
Kleinman, Rachel. "Dealing with a Drug Dilemma." The Age. 24 Jul. 2014: 16. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 15 Mar. 2016.
"U.S. and World Population Clock." Population Clock. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Mar. 2016.
"Antidepressant Use in Persons Aged 12 and Over: United States, 2005–2008." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 19 Oct. 2011. Web. 16 Mar. 2016.

1