sophiehgcl

Homework: An Unnecessary Evil?

After spending seven hours at a desk each day, students usually come home from school with the hopes of laying down and relaxing apart from the classroom, but what are students expected to do instead?  Homework.  Homework is a primary source of stress in many households in the United States.  Precious time is wasted on countless hours of homework, when instead, kids could be doing other things such as hanging out with friends, spending quality time with their families, or relaxing.  Homework causes unnecessary stress, sleep deprivation, and lack of social lives.  The homework load only increases as children grow older.  The evolution of my homework load from elementary school, to middle school, to high school is drastic.

In elementary school, I had a very light homework load.  Teachers would assign maybe one worksheet a night, which usually consisted of some sort of coloring or fun activity.  They would pack up our homework in a cute folder that I got to decorate with stickers of my choice.  Homework in elementary school was definitely a far from painful task, but the fact that schools began assigning homework at this young of an age is ridiculous.  No research has ever found a benefit to assigning homework (of any kind or in any amount) in elementary school.  Although it is not an excessive amount, there is still no point to it, so why are they assigning it?  It takes away from the time that young children should have to be able to play with friends, ride their bicycles, and to have fun.  Life should be carefree and stress free in elementary school, kids should not have to worry about completing their homework for the night.

As I transitioned from elementary school to middle school, not only did my work load increase, but it also became more difficult.  I found that in middle school they assigned lots of busy work that was tedious and took a long time.  This work had absolutely no point to it. Long nights started to begin.  Overall, most of the work assigned in middle school did not benefit me in any way shape or form.  I also felt that the work did not count for anything, so I had absolutely no motivation to do it.  Lots of the work assigned was checked for a completion grade only, so many kids would write down random answers and still score a one hundred percent.

High school is a completely different ball game.  The work is extremely excessive. Instead of busy work, this work actually counts towards the future.  My workload consists of projects, multiple tests and quizzes per day to study for, essays, textbook readings, taking notes, and pages of math problems.  I think it is ironic that I am sitting here writing this essay super late at night because I just finished my other homework.  It is hard to complete multiple hours worth of homework in just a single night, yet it is expected of me almost every day.  Studies show that even for high school students, overloading them with homework is not associated with higher grades.

Throughout the years, the amount of homework assigned to me has definitely increased by a lot.  I feel that we need to take a stand as society and speak out against homework.  There are more negatives associated with homework than positive, and studies prove that argument. Homework causes high levels of stress, lack of sleep, minimal social lives, and much more.  People do not realize how much society is being affected by homework, and it is scary to think about how the world could change because of it.    Abolishing homework once and for all would only better our society socially and psychologically.  

Work Cited
Kohn, Alfie. "Homework: New Research Suggests." Huffington Post. 25 Nov. 2012. Web.
Gilmer, Kelly. "Duke Study: Homework Helps Students Succeed in School, As Long as There Isn't Too Much." Duke University. Web.