ollieollie

Um......hi

Over the past year, I defeated a fear of other people, learned the value of clarity and brevity, fought writer's block, and developed pride in my words.

Now I am a writer with a love for onomatopoeias and an affinity for semicolons.

My cousin and I have a band together. Everything else is 100% fiction.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Duchess

PROMPT: Band Name

0
    Duchess is the brainchild of bassist Gabby Jennis and guitarist Laura Scott, a pair of cousins who were fortunate enough to be born in the same year. Raised by parents still mourning the 80s, they were both brought up on Aerosmith, Journey, and Queen. Duchess is loud, theatrical, and does its best to switch up the formula with every new track. After being joined by drummer Jacob Scott (Laura's younger brother) and pianist Joey King (Gabby's soft-spoken boyfriend), they started recording songs and posting them on the internet. Laura often writes to highlight a particular instrument, not to showcase lyric. Because of this unconventional method of production, Duchess has no lead singer. Each member takes turns with the mic, depending on whose voice is best suited for the key and range. One spot in the band is always open, for any talented person with a talented instrument to join and be thrown into the rotation. Laura has written songs to complement a saxophone, flute, violin, ukulele, mandolin, and more. 
    As the next generation of die-hard rock n rollers, they figured Duchess would be a suiting name. "Like Queen, but smaller and less impressive," they joke. Like their name, Duchess is an homage to a style of music not in wide production anymore. It is a bit softer, a bit less powerful and wide reaching, but they thoroughly enjoy performing and showing their mastery of their instruments. All they need is to get out of Laura's parents' garage first.