BrookeGGCL

Your Body, Your Choice

More than 56 million abortions in the United States have been done, since a bill legally allowing them passed in 1973. The women who got these abortions could have been women who didn’t have the means to have a child and care for it. They could have been women who were victims of rape. They could have been teenages in high school or young adults in college prioritizing their education. They could have been women at strong health risks if the child was carried to term. For many women like these an abortion is necessary for the sake of them and the child. In addition, laws passed against abortions are laws passed on women’s bodies. It is every person's fundamental right to be in control of their own body and what they do with it, so abortion should definitely be legal regardless of anyone else’s personal stance on the matter.
    There is currently a bill in recess in Texas (the Texas House Bill 2), regarding abortion. This law requires abortion clinics to meet the requirements of ambulatory surgical centers. It also requires all doctors providing abortion services to obtain admitting privileges at local hospitals, no farther than 30 miles away from the clinic. At first glance these regulations may seem like they really are protecting women’s health so many pro-choice people agree with them without taking a deeper look. An example of a requirement of an ambulatory surgical center is that the walls must be 8 feet wide, so two gurneys can pass through at once. In abortion clinics surgery is rarely even done because abortions are normally done in the first trimester with just a pill. Just one gurney is rarely necessary in abortion clinics. As a result of unnecessary regulations like these abortion clinics all over Texas will be shut down if this law passses. Laws like these are just trying to make it harder and harder for women to get abortions. Harder for women to have a say is happening with their own bodies, even if they had already been raped.
    In 2015 there were more than 700,000 google searches looking into self-induced abortions. This displays that even with abortion clinics legal in the United States some women are not close enough to a clinic, feel too judged to go to one, or don’t go to a clinic for many other reasons. Some methods of self-induced abortions can end in death. If so many, extremely dangerous, self-induced abortions are done with legal clinics, image how many will be done if they are shut down. For people who do not agree with abortions and think that abortions harm or kill children, shutting down clinic will only double the numbers of people being harmed and possible killed. As long as there are people getting pregnant, there will be people finding ways to get an abortion.
    Many people against abortion say that embryos have a right to their own life, however this statement is flawed. Having a right to your own life means being able to live your life without other people’s beliefs imposed on you. Anti-abortion laws do just the opposite. They take away basic rights by allowing other people to be in control of bodies that aren’t their own. Also, people who are against abortion argue that abortion is murder. They say that women are killing children when they could be saving them. With organ donation you have the ability to save another person’s life. Without you, they may die but you are allowed to refuse organ donation if you want. After all, the are your organs in your body. Why is abortion any different? You have the chance to save a life, but it is your body, and should be your decision.
    As you can see, abortion is necessary in our society. Pregnancy affects people deeply and largely in an emotional way. It is a life changing experience for most. Something of this significance should not be forced on someone who isn’t ready for it. Imagine a teenage rape victim being forced to carry that child to term. Being reminded of their rape every day for nine months along with other pain from the pregnancy. It could all end before the embryo even has a heartbeat with an abortion. This shouldn’t even be the main factor people consider when thinking about shutting down abortion clinics. It’s the fact that it is taking away women’s basic rights, being in charge of their own bodies. If the government is able to pass anti-abortion laws taking away women’s control over their own bodies, what will be next?

Works Cited

O'Bannon, Randy. "56,662,169 Abortions in America Since Roe vs. Wade in 1973."
    LifeNews.com. LifeNews.com, 12 Jan. 2014. Web. 16 Mar. 2016.
O'Neill, Terry. "Today, The Supreme Court Begins A New Chapter In Its History--Will Women
    Be The Losers?" The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 2 Mar. 2016. Web. 16
    Mar. 2016.
Stephens-davidowitz, Seth. "The Return of the D.I.Y. Abortion." The New York Times. The New
    York Times Company, 05 Mar. 2016. Web. 16 Mar. 2016.