Joanna Larson

Homeschooling: A Valid Education Option

What do you think of when you hear the word homeschooler? Do you think of a successful, resourceful and highly capable student? More than likely, the image you get is a weird, socially awkward introvert who has no concept of real world happenings. If that’s what you think, I don’t blame you. There are some homeschoolers like that, but it’s mostly a very unfair stereotype. Homeschoolers (and their parents) get a lot of judgment for the way they choose to school themselves. This judgment is undeserved and unwarranted. Here are some reasons why homeschooling is a totally valid education option. 

Homeschoolers get great training in time management with many benefits that a 7 period schedule might not allow.  When you homeschool, you have the opportunity to study more of what interests you. When you don’t have a 50-minute time limit for every subject, you get a pretty good idea of what you like and what you’re good at. For example, when I was homeschooled, I discovered that piano is a passion of mine. I love to play piano, and because I was homeschooled, I was able to practice for as long as I wanted to. I wasn’t confined to a 50-minute window. I had an hour and a half to two hour practicing session almost every day. Naturally, I became fairly advanced. Some sort of music degree seems like the most likely thing I will try for in college, and thanks to the great foundation I got while being homeschooled, I feel confident for the future. Coming back to public school, I don’t have the ideal practicing time, because I have so much work from my other classes. I see the effects of that, and it’s sad, honestly. The same idea applies to the opposite situation. When you’re homeschooled and find things that you struggle with, you can spend as much time as you need to study and get better at it. You’re able to take time to make sure that you actually understand what you’re doing. Imagine a world where students are able to primarily focus on their passions. They won’t have wasted time on other things that take away precious creativity and energy. Not to mention all the time you have to do other things besides school. When I lived in Los Angeles, I would get all of my schoolwork done in a short amount of time and then spend the rest of the day at the beach. Every. Day. 

Some people think that homeschoolers are socially awkward and don’t know how to interact with other kids, but in reality, that’s not true. Just because a kid doesn’t go to public school doesn’t mean they never have any human contact. There are many, many opportunities for homeschoolers to get out with other students. Homeschool groups, church groups, co-ops and sports are just a few options. A lot of homeschoolers can do sports with the school they’re zoned for.  It’s not just sports, either. Homeschoolers can do many electives, like music or art at public school and then do their general studies at home. I was a part of a homeschool group in Las Vegas, and I met so many great people. I made friends with people of lots of different ages. I went on lots of super cool field trips and did neat activities with them. In fact, I had to be careful of how much time I spent with my friends, to make sure I got all of my school work done. Homeschoolers get plenty of socialization. Of course, you always have your oddballs, but you have those in public school, too. It’s not specific to homeschoolers. 

In the end, we see that most of the stereotypes about homeschoolers are just untrue. Homeschoolers are as normal as any student could be. Homeschooling is no different than choosing to go to a specialized or private school. Homeschooling is a perfectly valid education option.