PouringOutTheSun

Ireland

“In the darkness, two shadows, reaching through the hopeless heavy dusk. Their hands meet, and light spills in a flood, like a hundred golden urns pouring out the sun.” -Madeline Miller, “The Song Of Achilles.”

Hmm

Had Some Thoughts About Snow Today While Trying Not To Fall Asleep In Class

3
You’ve got your hands thrust into white banks again and they’re searching for the body of a cold boy. You’ve got your snowflakes tipped across your steaming hot skin and they don’t dare to melt, if only because it’s you.

The cut of your jaw gives you an audience as your skin glimmers in that ‘oh-I-used-to-be-cold-for-one-person’ type of way and your body remembers your time within the dark clouds, you fall apart in little flakes and build yourself up in drifts but you’re so damn warm, and you’re still not melting, you still refuse to melt.

You’ve got an icicle hanging from every finger and your hair is the colour of old slush. You used to have talons & hair the colour of something fresh & pure but you still haven’t found his body, oh god where could his body be?

Smoke keeps billowing from your nostrils and it’s lovely, juxtaposed all nice against the sharpness of your blue eyes, but the blue, it gets hidden among the mist of yourself and I’d say you are not doing it on purpose but what type of snow deity gets the sniffles? I knew you before your hot age and I still know you in it now, with magma wrapped around your heart that pumps ice through your veins. I’ve already told you, our bodies don’t forget.

You keep imagining what it will be like when you find him, by gone hands reaching blue skin & maybe you’ll finally melt then. You’re only like this for the rage of it all but one clutch of his stiff hand that you have found in the snow bank of a ditch and you’d be right again. Something as pure as freshly driven snow and all for a dead boy.

I can tell you’ve forgotten his name.

• Janna Brown

I noticed that you had left a comment on my poem about Balor, asking why I chose Celtic mythology and to tell you the truth I don't really know why. I've always had a love for mythology and when I came upon the story of Balor I was immediately interested. I did just realize the other day though that you're from Ireland and I was wondering if you knew more about the Balor myth, especially where Cian and Ethnui are concerned, I haven't been able to find out to much about them online, but have found their part of the story to be the most interesting. Thank you if you can, and thank you if you can't either, I'd just appreciate if you would let me know!