JustinO

Tell me what is good, and what I need to work on.

Being Rich In College Because Of Sports?

We all love college football. But some people are trying to ruin it. Paying college football players is totally unacceptable. College football should be fun and exciting, and by paying the players, that could take it all away.
    These college football players are pretty much are already being paid. They are getting full ride scholarships of about $40,000 a year. They are getting paid with an education worth $40,000 to play football at a specific college. There have been cases of colleges paying athletes, and it needs to stop immediately. Pete Thamel from the New York Times says that, “Reggie Bush, who won the Heisman Trophy in 2005, and his family had accepted cash and services worth more than $100,000 from marketing agents during his career at U.S.C.” This is completely uncalled for and should stop immediately. Reggie Bush’s parents should not be profiting cash off of their son playing football at U.S.C.
These athletes do not have to worry about big debts after they leave college like most college students do. They get the advantage of going to college and not paying for their education. This is a huge advantage because kids coming out of Pennsylvania schools, “The average debt is $32,528.” According to Kieran McCauley from the Daily Local News. This is big because some of those kids want to pursue careers , but they can’t because of how much debt they are in. Athletes don't have to worry about this because of their scholarship. And people still think they should be paid more?
    The football players that play in college are some of the best football players in the world. But most of the athletes are not even 21 yet. College football should not turn into a business where richer colleges have the upper hand in athletics. These athletes should enjoy their time playing college football and not have to worry about being paid and which university offers the most money. These college students should be focusing on grades and their education, because most players don’t make it to the NFL. College football can easily distract an athlete from doing their best in school. College can be a stressful time in your life, and you don’t need to make it more stressful by worrying about money as a student. College students are also not mature enough to be able to handle a big amount of money.
    College football players should be paid in no way other than scholarships. Think about this before you think college athletes should be paid. How would you feel if football players got a scholarship and got paid, and all you got was debt?
McCauley, Kieran. “College Athletes Shouldn’t Be Paid.” College Athletes Shouldn’t Be Paid . N.P., n.d. Web. 15 Mar. 2016.

Thamel, Pete. “As Controversy Swirls Around Bush, Trojans March On.” The New York Times. The New York Times, 17 Sept. 2006. Web. 15 Mar. 2016.