Dsc 0263

AbigailSauble

Child of God
Pro-life
Photographer
Marine sister
Blogger
English Country Dancer
Dessert enthusiast
Sun-Child
Reader
Musician
Singer
Artist
ISFJ-A
Wind Chaser
Volleyball devotee
Movie quoter
Tea drinker
Airsofter
Cat lover
Youtuber

' "Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet My unfailing love for you will not be shaken, nor My covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD.' ~ Isaiah 54:10

Proud USMC sister!

FAVORITE QUOTES:

"Most people never meet their heroes;
I grew up with mine." ♥

“And the one good thing about being down here, is that we’ll save on funeral expenses.” ~ Puddleglum (The Silver Chair)

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. ~ John F. Kennedy

How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. ~ Winnie the Pooh

https://wheniwasanartist.blogspot.com/

New Year Phone Call

1
It was midnight when my cell phone rang.
Fireworks flashed and sprinkled the dark horizon, and I hardy heard the guitar strum above the laughing voices of my friends.
The bright screen glared up at me as I thumbed past home. Mom’s number.
“Hey mom. What’s up?”
Sobbing blurred the voice on the other end, and instantly anxious adrenaline sprinted through my veins. The chaos of New Years’ Day vanished.
“Mom, what’s wrong?”
“I took him to Providence.” Mom hiccuped between each word.
“Who, mom? Who? What’s wrong?” I didn’t mean to raise my voice, but I doubted mom would lecture me. She was scaring me really bad. Goosebumps teased my arms as fear blossomed in my heart.
I wish I didn’t feel as though my life was going to change forever.
And then with my mom’s next words, it did.
“Your dad had a heart-attack.”
I couldn’t breathe. The phone slipped from my loose fingers and tumbled to the dewy grass beneath my feet.
Someone sided up next to me. “Is everything alright, Elliana?”
I blinked, numb. Ben Prescott. It’s Ben. My boyfriend.
I shook my head, unable to speak.
Ben reached down to pick up my phone and realized someone was still talking urgently on the other end.
Mom. I shook myself momentarily from my daze and collected my phone from Ben’s firm hand.
“Mom?”
“Ellie, are you still there?” Mom’s frantic tones stung my heart.
“I’m here. How’s dad? Tell me he’s alright!” My voice shook, longing to hear reassurance.
But it never came.
“He’s gone, Ellie.” More heart-breaking sobbing.
My head swam, and a sob jerked from my throat.
Ben’s worried voice grabbed my disoriented attention from beside me. “What’s wrong, Ellie? Is your dad okay?”
Our eyes connected; mine blurred. A lump formed in my throat.
I couldn’t force the words past my lips. He’s gone. The suddenness and finality of it overwhelmed me, and I lurched into Ben’s arms, soaking the front of his shirt with my tears.
Vaguely I felt his hand gently rubbing my back as he held me. Ben said not a word, and I couldn’t.
My dad died from a heart-attack? How?
My brain was too fuzzy from lack of sleep and anxiety to think straight.
“Do you need me to drive you?” Ben spoke softly into my ear.
I clutched fistfuls of the back of his t-shirt in my tight hands and nodded.
I heard the concerns of people as Ben lead me to his parked car, but none of it registered.
Only the words: He’s gone echoed around and around with no outlet.
Finally it came out in a whisper on my trembling lips.
“He’s gone.”
Ben gathered me into his arms and held me tight. “I’m so sorry, Ellie. I’m so sorry.”
I could only sob.
And that was how my new year became a nightmare with just one phone call.
When my dad died, a part of me died with him.

1