rachelsGCL

Why Schools Worldwide Should Not Ban A Girl’s Right To Wear Makeup

About one in five20 percent (one in five) of girls in the United States have worn makeup from ages 8-18 because they feel insecure without it (“From Barbies to Blush”). Sixty five percent of teens who wear makeup started wearing it from ages 8 to 13. According to Experian Simmons National Consumer Research, about half of the girls in the United States of America wear lip gloss starting at six years old (Hanes). Wearing makeup is a personal choice. Not only does makeup make a girl feel better about her appearance, but it is also an artistic statement that should be accepted by all. Makeup should be allowed within reason in any setting, in particular schools, because it is form of personal expression that should be permitted to be publicized if a girl chooses to do so. In my opinion, makeup within reason includes foundation, rouge, lip gloss, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, etc, and does not include full on body paints and tattoos.
Some schools don’t permit the use of any makeup by girls. This is mainly seen in Europe, but rarely schools in the United States don’t allow their female students to wear makeup. According to The Himalayan Times, Coombeshead college in Devon, England banned makeup after students were compared to “Oompa-Loompas” from the film “Willy Wonka” and were teased for looking too orange (“School Bans Make-up”). A school in Huddersfield, Britain removed all mirrors from the girls’ restrooms and banned makeup because their students were spending too much time “fixing themselves up”. Teachers were even given “makeup removal kits” to use unless the girls wore “discreet” makeup. This rule is only enforced for students between the ages of 14 and 16 because anyone younger than that was said to never have been allowed to wear cosmetics (Hartmann). There is even a high school in Didsbury, located in South Manchester, England that forbids girls to wear any makeup; if they come to school with any on, teachers have the right to remove it. The students are even threatened with expulsion if they have even the slightest bit of makeup on their face (Flynn). Girls should have the choice to wear makeup or not and schools should not take the right away.
In my high school, many girls wear makeup and get shamed for it by their peers. It is okay for a girl to dye their hair a crazy color, but when they take the time to put a little extra makeup on reactions can be harsh. Why is this different? Whether it is hair dye or makeup, they both show personal status and are things that no one can choose except the person themself. This is prevalent both in school and out of school. A girl should be able to take pride in her appearance, especially if it makes them feel better about themselves. The use of makeup should not make women and girls appear as someone who tries too hard. I come to school some days with a lot of eyeliner on and I get comments like “You have been doing your eyeliner a lot lately” or “Why are you wearing so much makeup?”. It is my choice whether or not I want to wear cosmetics. This doesn’t mean I am trying to impress anyone or trying to be cool, it is a way to express myself that I can’t do by speaking. A blogger named Natasha Scripture expands on her thoughts about wearing makeup when she writes: “I don’t think I’m ugly without it… a harmless touch of makeup makes me feel better. I wear it for myself, not for anybody else.”
    In conclusion, girls should be allowed to wear makeup if they please. A school should not have the right to control their personal choice. Wearing makeup can make people view and treat others differently. This shouldn’t be the case for something as simple as a personal outlook on someone’s appearance. By wearing makeup girls can feel confident in their appearance. When a school forbids makeup, girls may not feel comfortable during the day which could affect their focus in class. This could potentially lead to declining grades all because a girl feels insecure about herself.

Works Cited
Flynn, Ellie. "Make-up Ban School Now Forbids Girls From Wearing Colored Bras As It
'Distracts' Boys." The Sun. 8 Jan. 2016. Web. 16 Mar. 2016.
Hanes, Stephanie. "Little Girls or Little Women? The Disney Princess Effect." Christian Science
Monitor. Sept 24 2011: n.p. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 16 Mar. 2016.
Hartmann, Margaret. "School Removes Mirrors, Bans Teen Girls From Wearing Makeup."
Jezebel. 14 Sept. 2011. Web. 16 Mar. 2016.
"From Barbies to Blush." PR Newswire. 21 Feb. 2013. Web. 16 Mar. 2016.
"School Bans Make-up." The Himalayan Times. 7 July 2006. Web. 16 Mar. 2016.
Scripture, Natasha. "Red Lips Can Rule the World." The New York Times. 2 Jan. 2013. Web. 16 Mar. 2016.