rachelsGCL

Why Schools Worldwide Should Not Ban A Girl’s Right To Wear Makeup

Did you know that about 20 percent (one in five) of girls have worn makeup from ages 8-18 because they feel insecure without it (From Barbies to Blush)? 65 percent of teens who wear makeup started wearing it from ages 8 to 13 (From Barbies to Blush). According to Experian Simmons national consumer research, about half of the population of girls wear lip gloss starting at six years old (Hanes). Not only does makeup make a girl feel better about their appearance, but it is an artistic statement that should be allowed to be seen. Makeup should be allowed in any setting, in particular schools, because it is a personal opinion that should be allowed to be worn if one chooses to do so.

In my school, many girls wear makeup and get shamed for it. It is okay for a girl to dye their hair a crazy color, but god forbid they take the time to put a little extra makeup on. Why is this different? It’s simple, it isn’t. Whether it is hair dye or makeup, they both show personal status and are things that no one can choose except the person themself. Can’t someone take pride in their appearance, especially if it makes them feel better about themselves? Why is it unacceptable to wear makeup in school settings and what makes this different from other settings? Why does wearing makeup make women and girls appear as “sluts”?  I come to school some days with a lot of eyeliner on and I get comments like “You have been doing your eyeliner a lot lately” or “Why are you wearing so much makeup?”. It is my choice wether I want to wear makeup or not it doesn’t mean I am trying to impress anyone or try to be cool it is a way to express one’s self. “I don’t think I’m ugly without it. It just makes me feel like I’m presenting a slightly better version of my natural self; even if the difference is only noticeable to the discerning eye. The point is that a harmless touch of makeup makes me feel better. I wear it for myself, not for anybody else.” (Scripture)

Did you know that some schools don’t allow girls to wear any makeup? According to The Himalayan Times this includes a college in Devon that banned makeup after some students were teased for looking too orange saying that they looked like “Oompa-Loompas” (School Bans Make-up). Also, a school in Britain removed all mirrors from the girls’ restrooms and banned makeup because their students were spending too much time “fixing themselves up” (Hartmann). There is even a school in Didsbury that forbids girls to wear any makeup (Flynn). If they come to school with any on, teachers have the right to remove it (Flynn). Girls should have the choice to wear makeup or not and schools shouldn’t take the privilege away.

In conclusion, girls should be allowed to wear makeup if they please. A school should not have the right to control their personal beliefs and… Wearing makeup can make people think about and treat others differently in a negative or positive way. This shouldn’t be the case for something as simple as a personal outlook on someone’s appearance.

Works Cited
Flynn, Ellie. "Make-up Ban School Now Forbids Girls From Wearing Colored Bras As It
'Distracts' Boys." The Sun. 8 Jan. 2016. Web. 16 Mar. 2016.
Hanes, Stephanie. "Little Girls or Little Women? The Disney Princess Effect." Christian Science
Monitor. Sept 24 2011: n.p. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 16 Mar. 2016.
Hartmann, Margaret. "School Removes Mirrors, Bans Teen Girls From Wearing Makeup."
Jezebel. 14 Sept. 2011. Web. 16 Mar. 2016.
"From Barbies to Blush." PR Newswire. 21 Feb. 2013. Web. 16 Mar. 2016.
"School Bans Make-up." The Himalayan Times. 7 July 2006. Web. 16 Mar. 2016.
Scripture, Natasha. "Red Lips Can Rule the World." The New York Times. 2 Jan. 2013. Web. 16
Mar. 2016.