Smile

AdamCGCL

In the Split Second

Title...

Imagine you are running on the field in a soccer game and BANG, someone runs into you and you are knocked out stone cold. You wake up in the hospital, and the doctor tells you that you have a certain type of head trauma called a concussion. A concussion is a “brain injury caused by a bump, blow, or jolt to the head” (“What Is a Concussion?”) There are so many dangers and uncertainties about concussions because it can cause serious and severe (or lethal just make sure) damage to a person's brain and actions. The head could be the most important part of the human body, so it needs to be well protected. Sports are the most common human activity that involves head trauma, which explains why they are so closely related. A concussion is a serious issue raised by many sports enthusiasts because it occurs in most sports, it causes fear in parents to discourage kids from playing the sports, and it can cause harsh lasting effects.

The head is involved in many sports such as soccer, baseball, boxing, and football. In soccer, one way to score a goal is to score by heading the ball. Soccer players occasionally use their head to hit the ball into the net to score a goal, but by doing this many times, it can cause damage. Baseball is a sport that concussions are frequent. The baseball can slip out of the pitchers hand and there is a high chance that the 95+ MPH ball will hit the person in the head. For this reason, baseball players wear helmets! Most of the time, concussions are not frequent in baseball, but it can still happen. Also, the head is hit frequently in boxing. People sometimes call boxers "punch drunk boxers” (Rothman) because the fighter is so concussed due to the amount of blows to the head that they cannot punch at the end of the match. Concussions in football are the most routine in contact sports. Running the ball, sacs, and tackling are some examples of potential concussions. Concussions are so seriously dangerous that, “[i]f an athlete experiences two concussions in a season, [they] must sit out the remainder of the season and possibly return the next year,”! (Rothman) People do not realize how much concussions affect the way people play; it can change any players future forever.

Because head injury is so serious, parent are very concerned when their child plays in a contact sport, and in some cases, parent will not allow their child to even play the sport! This can discourage the player to not play anymore. Dr. Steven M. Rothman, a Pediatric Neurology Specialist explains that the “fear of concussions [that] may [worry] parents and medical professionals from letting kids play [in] sports,” once they have a concussion (Rothman). If a player gets a harsh concussion, the parents and doctors of the athlete may not want them to play at all ever again!

The brain is one of the most useful parts of the body, and damaging it causes many problems. Headache, confusion, and fatigue are just some of the examples for symptoms of someone with head trauma. If a person has a concussion and then soon gets another one, “the recovery can be very prolonged”, and can even end a player's career ("Do Concussions Have Long-term Side Effects?"). Once the brain has been damaged once, there are no second chances. That is why the medical boards of many contact sports have strict rules on when and how an athlete can play once they had a concussion.

Continuous knocking of the head can cause great damage and stress to any athlete dealing with it. A concussion occurs in most sports, it causes fear in parents to discourage kids from playing in the sports, as well as it can cause harsh lasting effects. “[C]oncussions are a real concern.” (Rothman)

Works Cited
Bruni, Frank. "Safety, Sports and Kids." New York Times 2015 dec 20: SR.3 DB - SIRS Issues
Researcher. Web. 15 Mar. 2016.
"Do Concussions Have Long-term Side Effects?" Do Concussions Have Long-term Side Effects?
N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Mar. 2016.
Rothman, Steven M. "America's Concussion Obsession." New York Times. 22 Dec. 2015: A.27.
SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 15 Mar. 2016.
"What Is a Concussion?" Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention, 16 Feb. 2015. Web. 15 Mar. 2016.