Alicat

I am just a young writer hoping to make a difference in the world I live in.

I'm a nerd :)
Animal Lover
Bookworm
Photographer
Musicophile

I have so many ideas and nowhere to start.

This is my Creative Nonfiction piece. Hope you enjoy! :)

Climate Change Catastrophe

I've heard the stories. Rivers withering away to nothing in different lands, polar ice caps melting in the Arctic ocean, the earth as we know it slowly dying under our destructive hand. I've seen the pictures of devastation because of natural disasters that popped up due to our lack of caring, and I've read the news stories over how the ocean life is perishing not only from pollution, but from rising temperatures in the water. Climate change has had such a huge impact on our society, and if we don't do anything about it it's only going to get worse.
    But yet, though I know this destruction is happening to my world, it's always seemed so distant, like it was happening in someone else's life. The ways global warming affected me and the place I lived were subtle, for the most part. Though the winter did seem a bit to cold, and lasted a bit too long, it wasn't too huge to deal with. That is, until the powerful damages of climate change knocked on my back door.
    When the snow fell on the ground this winter. I was ecstatic. In my eyes, a winter without snow is no winter at all. I mean, why suffer through the cold if you don't get to have snowball fights with your friends, or admire a small snowman you built while inside drinking hot cocoa? But as the months turned from February into March with still no sign of the cold winter letting up, everyone just wished for spring already. I was waiting for the weather to turn, melting the snow and producing budding flowers and bright green trees. A time where I could shed my heavy winter coat and gloves for a light jacket and an umbrella.
    The rain soon came, the slight taste of spring I was hoping for, but the affect did much more harm than good. The ground had not yet thawed, leaving the rain unable to sink into the ground. As the rain continued to pour, no signs of letting up, more people became worried. Water rose up to meet bridges, some currents destroying them completely. Water washed out homes, displacing hundreds and causing billions of dollars in damages. 
    Certain cities became islands due to flooding. My family was unable to get to my sister when she visited a friend in one of these impromptu islands. My brother had to go out of his way to get back into the town his college was in, because only one road was in good enough shape to get cars across. 
    Even now, there are still some parts of the state underwater. The biggest being farms that still have giant, unplanned lakes in the middle of them, making them unable to plant their crops on time. This travesty means there will be less locally grown food available once harvest time comes around.
    Suddenly, climate change wasn't just something I heard about on the news. It was right in front of my face. It wasn't a problem that other people are forced to deal with. It is a mighty force we all have to open our eyes to, or the results will continuously more catastrophic.
    As I pass by water filled farms and displaced debris that used to be safe in houses, I get angry. We've sat and done nothing for too long. Many people have gotten too absorbed into their own little worlds to pay attention to the big one they live on. I was guilty of this, I admit, but not anymore. 
    It is not too late to start making a difference. Together, we can slow the treacherous climb of global warming, and start repairing our earth. Together, we can rise up, instead of the flood waters.