201356

Why LGB's Should Be Treated Fairly

One thing that most people know for sure, people are different. Everybody is different. Everybody wears different clothes, has different hair types and hair colors, and have different personalities. But what about other things? Races and sexual preferences is something else that can differ among others. As time has gone on, many problems have occurred with gay, lesbian, and bisexual people's rights, such as having different health care, being treated differently in many places throughout the U.S.A., and custody complications with partners children. Overall, there is no reason should these people be treated differently, than people that are straight.

Sadly, sexual orientation has been an issue in many states. This includes the state of New Jersey, which has an issue with sexual orientation and boy scouts. New Jersey didn’t let a Scoutmaster be dismissed because he was gay. The Boy Scouts of America v. Dale (2000) Court dealt civil rights advocates another setback, ruling that the boy Scouts’ First amendment rights of free expression and association would be violated by enforcement of New Jersey’s state law barring sexual orientation. People should be held accountable for how well they do their job, not judged on who they fall in love with. 

Also, people shouldn’t be treated differently when it comes to jeopardizing their life. “Many health services claim that they ‘treat everyone the same’, but this usually means that they treat everyone as heterosexual. Gay and lesbian people do not need special medical treatment, they do need treatment that is fair and appropriate.” (Gay and Lesbian Discrimination from Better Health Channel pg.3) Often, gay men and lesbians have reduced access to medical care because they fear discrimination. Sexual orientation is not something that should make you jeopardize your life. Every person should have equal access to high quality medical care based solely on their health needs. Homosexuals should not only be treated equally when it comes to healthcare, but they should also be treated equally when it comes to complications with marriage and custody.

Homosexuals should not only be treated equally when it comes to healthcare, but they should also be treated equally when it comes to complications with marriage and custody. One of the dilemmas facing LGB's today centers around the fact that marriage is not a legal right for them in all fifty states. Parents who choose to give birth to or adopt children often face uncharted waters with regards to child custody if they decide to part ways in their relationship. When courts see a same-sex couple splitting apart, they are unprepared for the situation, as many judges have mixed reactions to gay couples as parents. This can cause difficulties in lesbian and gay couples, as they aren't treated in court as equally compared to straight men and women. “Courts are struggling with the whole definition at what is an American family is today,” said John Mayoue, author of “Competing  Interests In Family Law.” Partners who choose to become a family by adding the addition of children should have rights to care and custody to their children.

For these reasons, I don’t see why LBG's should feel or be treated any differently than straight people. Sadly, many homosexuals are treated in a way that is unfair. "Hate Crimes committed against gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and/or trans gendered individuals constitute the third-highest category of hate crimes reported to the FBI-14% of all hate crimes." (Gays and Lesbians, The Leadership Conference) A way to change this may be to look at homosexuals as not strangers to the idea of heterosexuals, but that sexual preferences is one thing out of a million that makes a person different from another. I definitely think that homosexuals, LGB's, should be treated as equal as people who are straight, and shouldn’t be treated only on their sexual orientations.

"Gays and Lesbians." The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.  
"Gay and Lesbian Discrimination." - Better Health Channel. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.  
"Split Gay Couples Face Custody Hurdles." Nytimes.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.