Mike B

I would just like some clarity on wether or not my point is clear enough and that all of my info is important.

Movies of Now v Movies of Old

Everyone loves a classic. “Oldies but Goodies” as my mom always says. We don’t know really what it is, but for some strange reason, the movies of old just posses some sort of charm that we just can’t seem to get  enough of. This leads me to my main idea: do today’s movies live up to yesterday’s.
Back then, it seemed as if people made movies to tell a story. Just for pure entertainment. From the Westerns of John Wayne to the wacky comedies of Jerry Lewis, movies just seemed to be watched- and not analyzed for a deeper meaning like they are today.
    Nowadays, movies are a medium that is often analyzed and inspected for a deeper meaning. They often have something to say. In some cases, they are made to leave the viewer thinking. To sum it all up, movies are just much more complex than they used to be.
    This is, in some ways, a good thing. Movies can raise awareness about certain subjects that aren’t well enough known. They can also generate lots of discussion on controversial topics. For example, Quentin Tarantino’s “Django Unchained” sparked a massive discourse about something that has barely been talked about in the past century: slavery.
     In my biased opinion, I think that the modern movies are just better. I think that they contain better characters and smarter stories. There have always been movies that were more than just movies. But they were not very common back in the 20’s, 30’s, 40’s, or 50’s. Don’t get me wrong, they were still there, just not that many of them.
In the 80’s, movies seemed to take a step back. They became much more “assembly-line” like. Studios wanted to shell out as much movies as possibly and stick in as many movie stars a film could handle. In the early 90’s, movies really began to become what they are today. With young filmmakers like Quentin Tarantino and John Singleton, movies became much smarter.
    On IMDb’s Top 250 list, Only two of the top ten films were made before the 1970’s. The other eight included of movies like “The Godfather” parts 1 and 2, “Shawshank Redemption”, “Schindler’s List”, and “Fight Club.” Of the top 100, only under a third of the films were made before the 70’s.

After finally looking at the facts- and not just splurting out an extremely biased opinion- I still believe that the films of today exceed those of the past. I feel that when films have something to say, they are just more captivating than when they don’t. Don’t let me decide. This is a choice that you can make.
1.Gonchar, Michael. “What Are Your Favorite Movies Ever?”  The New York Times, January 16, 2015.
2.Herbert, Geoff. “New List names 100 Top movies of all time: What's your Favorite?” Syracuse.com, 26 Feb, 2016.