Blake_B

What is up with Technology in the Classroom?

Technology gets in the way of learning in the classroom. Although technology has done a lot of positive things in our lives, negativity comes with it. Technology constantly distracts students, is overwhelming, and teachers don’t monitor students’ use of technology well enough.
First of all, some of my classmates get distracted by technology in the classroom. For example, they play games and look up irrelevant content on the internet. The distraction of technology prevents them from doing the material that they’re supposed to learn. According to researchers at Duke University, “Students who gain access to a computer between the 5th and 8th grades tend to witness a persistent decline in reading and math scores” (NYtimes 1).
Next, technology is overwhelming. I personally am overwhelmed with technology in the classroom. I struggle with information on technological tests. The information on technology  is overwhelming to my eyes, which causes me not to perform to my fullest. Others are apparently overwhelmed too. A survey declares “38 percent of 10-14 year olds felt that too much [technology] could be upsetting” (Big Think 1). Then, “83% agree that the amount of information available online today is overwhelming to most students, and 76% strongly agree” (Decoded Science 8). The overwhelmingness of technology makes it more difficult on students, which affects their learning. If technology were to be reduced in the classroom, some students could perform to their best better because it’s not as overwhelming. Then technology would not get in the way of their learning experience.
Last, teachers do an awful job of monitoring students on technology. For online tests students can open a new tab and research answers. According to a student survey, “25% revealed that some students use the search functionality of their tech tools to search for answers (that is, cheat) during class” (Cengage Learning 2). Cheating does not help students. Cheating prevents the students from knowing the material that they are supposed to know. Teachers would be disappointed that it’s that easy for students to cheat, but there the reason why. In other words, most teachers sit at their desk and do not check on students while they are on technology. Students also can be exposed to inappropriate things that don’t relate to school with the use of the internet. For example, “Inappropriate content includes information or images that upset your child, material that’s directed at adults, inaccurate information or information that might lead or tempt your child into unlawful or dangerous behavior” (Internet Matters 2). Inappropriate content is not relevant to students’ education, so it does not help them. If teachers put strict filters on the technology students may not be exposed to inappropriate content. Also, if they tracked students’ search history, students would not be able to cheat on assessments.
Overall, technology negatively gets in the way of students’ learning. People pay taxes for technology and it decreases students’ learning. If teachers would tighten up on technology use, students’ education will not be as negatively affected.
"Digital Information Overload Overwhelms and Distracts Students." Decoded Science. N.p., 04 Nov. 2012. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.
"Does Technology in the Classroom Ever Get in the Way of Learning?" The Learning Network Does Technology in the Classroom Ever Get in the Way of Learning Comments. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Mar. 2016.
"Information, Advice and Support to Keep Children Safe Online." Internet Matters Home Comments. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Mar. 2016.
"Is Technology Overwhelming Society?" Big Think. N.p., 05 July 2011. Web. 09 Mar. 2016.
"Technology in the Classroom: A Distraction or an Asset?" The Cengage Learning Blog. N.p., 01 Apr. 2014. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.