7461d8e8 f9e2 4f6b 8f2a e27a974888f1

PouringOutTheSun

Ireland

“In the darkness, two shadows, reaching through the hopeless heavy dusk. Their hands meet, and light spills in a flood, like a hundred golden urns pouring out the sun.” -Madeline Miller, “The Song Of Achilles.”

Damn okay, wrote this a while back and decided I still quite like it. I did some light editing there? And realised it wasn’t as a good as I thought it was like 5 minutes ago but I’m still posting it.

This Is One Of The More Tender Moments, Go & Try & Have Some For Yourself

4
“My sun-swept boy” I whispered through chapped lips. I grabbed his face in between my hands and looked in his eyes. They were so tired. I think all of our eyes were tired now. Tired and broken and so beautifully done.

“Oran...” he wouldn’t look at me, he cast his eyes towards the ground and my gut clenched. There wasn’t a single spark there. He didn’t even try to push me away. I stroked my thumb over the sharp arc of his cheekbone, my eyes following the movement. He had cut his hair short. His curls didn’t flop out the sides of his helmet anymore.

“My gold tinted boy.” I murmured, breathe ghosting across his cheek, he looked over to the side of us, presumably to see if there was anyone around to see this. To see me, being so tender with the boy who nearly lost us everything. 

Outsiders liked to give the people they send to die for them a bit of privacy. There wasn’t a soul in sight.

My war-torn boy, I didn’t speak these words out loud because they were so painfully true they were probably ringing through  his ears anyway. I put my forehead against his and watched as his eyes welled up with tears. Eyes that had used to hold such wonder and awe for the world.

Eyes that now held contempt.

And sometimes me.

• Budding Mae

Whoa, holy goodness, this is fantastic. The imagery is so well-done and your choice of words are perfect. Fantastic job on this!!