Img 6565

AbigailSauble

Child of God
Pro-life
Wordsmith
Photographer
Marine sister
Blogger
English Country Dancer
Dessert enthusiast
Reader
Musician
Singer
Artist
ISFJ
Aquaphobe
Volleyball devotee
Movie quoter
Tea drinker
Airsofter
Cat lover
Youtuber

' "Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet My unfailing love for you will not be shaken, nor My covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD.' ~ Isaiah 54:10

Proud USMC sister!

FAVORITE QUOTES:

"Most people never meet their heroes;
I grew up with mine." ♥

“And the one good thing about being down here, is that we’ll save on funeral expenses.” ~ Puddleglum (The Silver Chair)

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

"Only in the darkness can you see the stars." ~ Martin Luther King Jr

How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. ~ Winnie the Pooh

https://wheniwasanartist.blogspot.com/

Thirteenth Floor: Chapter 15

3
23:02
Kennedy didn’t know how long she had been crying. She just knew that she had done the worst thing imaginable. She had betrayed Marianne and left her alone.
As soon as the elevator doors closed, the calm daze surrounding her had snapped, and she pounded on the doors, screaming Marianne’s name.
Now, nearly fifty minutes later, Kennedy’s throat was hoarse, her tongue, dry, and tears stained her cheeks.
One traitor. Me.
She swallowed back the nausea that threatened her empty stomach, then ducked her head between her knees. It had been so long since she last ate that she was dizzy from lack of food. And her ankle had started throbbing again.
My due punishment. Kennedy closed her eyes and sucked in slow breaths.
Then the elevator shot up the shaft, causing Kennedy to fall forward onto the tiled floor. Pain exploded as she hit her forehead hard; she felt her neck crack from whiplash. Spots decorated her vision, and she retched.
As suddenly as the elevator had started up, it stopped, and Kennedy lay on the floor, panting; her whole body throbbed.
Do I have a fever?
She didn’t have the strength to check, but she knew she was cold. Shivers raced up her spine.
It reminded her of the last time she had the flu. Last fall, or two springs ago, she couldn’t remember. But she had been sick for ten days.
It’s just what I deserve. Kennedy’s eyes drifted closed, and she wished she would faint, if only to end the nightmare.
There was a soft noise from in front of her, but she was too tired to care. Then something grabbed a fistful of Kennedy’s hair and yanked her out of the elevator. She screamed from the pain, but was too weak to fight back.
“Stop. Stop! Please stop!” She begged. Warm tears streamed down her face, only to cling to her jaw-line, as though afraid to fall.
Whoever it was finally let go, and Kennedy collapsed back to the floor, trembling. Vaguely, she heard the elevator slide shut behind her, and then there was silence except for her shaky breaths.
Kennedy heard no footsteps exit, but no more hands grabbed her. She lay still for a few minutes; shoulders tense.
Where am I? Did she care?
Finally, after what felt like an hour, but was probably only a few minutes, Kennedy gathered up her remaining strength and pushed herself up to her knees.
She panted from exertion, and her head swam. Kennedy gulped and shut her eyes until the moment passed.
A chill swept across the room, and she shivered even with the thick hoodie.
It was dark. Like always.
A jolt of realization hit Kennedy at the familiarity of the room. It was the same one that she had just left.
“Marianne?” It came out as a hoarse whisper. She swallowed, and her gaze darted to the wall. It was clean. No message.
And her friend was nowhere to be seen.
Kennedy looked down; more nausea rose up in her throat at the new words written between her hands.

All traitors must die. Will the innocent pay for your crime?

She stood up shakily and staggered away.
Where’s Marianne? Will she die because I abandoned her? Will she ever forgive me?
Kennedy stifled a sob and nearly lost her balance when her eyes filled with hot tears. Quickly, she blinked to clear her vision and took more steps into the dark interior.
Why should she forgive me? I’m a traitor to my friends, and now we’re all alone. Reuben’s probably dead, and Marianne’s scared to death.
Kennedy winced at the poor wording.
Stay alive, Kennedy. Stay alive. Even if it’s only to make things right with Marianne.
Kennedy set her jaw, determined, and let her gaze sweep across the familiar – yet strangely different – room.
And that was just it. Why was it different? Kennedy blinked as the answer hit her.
No messages. At least, – she glanced at her feet – not the old ones.
Is this a different room? The thought shook her. Where was she, really? How were there two rooms that looked nearly exactly the same? She had to make sure.
“Marianne?” Kennedy’s voice took on strength. She cleared her throat. “Marianne? Are you here?”
No answer.
“Marianne?”
Silence echoed around the room.
Maybe she’s hiding. Or doesn’t want to talk to me. Kennedy swallowed hard. The thought stung.
Kennedy moved forward and peered into the darkness. There also weren’t any doorways. Her heart stilled then raced in anxiety.
No way out. I’m trapped and alone.
Her worst fear.
I’m alone. The words reverberated in her brain, and struck her mercilessly through the heart.
Kennedy trembled as more chills spilled over her, like a bucket of cold river water.
Maybe I deserve to be alone for deserting Marianne. A single tear crept down her cheek with the promise of more to come.
“I’m sorry, Marianne.” The words slipped past her lips and lit the air with their genuineness.
She’ll never know how sorry I am.
Kennedy wrapped her arms around her waist and fell to her knees, letting the tears blind her.
“I’m so sorry.” Sobs made her words quiver. “LORD, forgive me. Please.”
Kennedy let time slip by as she poured her grief before God. She could only hope He was still listening to her.
Finally, after a long time, she lifted her tear-smudged face to look around her. Her forehead throbbed, and she felt so empty, but somehow the future didn’t look so bleak.
Kennedy inhaled deeply then slowly released it. She repeated the calming process for a few minutes before getting to her feet and exploring the walls for a way out.
As she rounded a particularly dusty pile of ceiling debris, she saw a flash of blue. Kennedy blinked, unsure if it was a trick of her eyes or real.
She stepped closer and froze when she realized it was someone’s tennis shoe. All color fled from her face, and her stomach twisted.
It was familiar to her, and then she knew why.
It was Reuben’s shoe.

• Victoria Penning

My whole stomach lurched with the tennis shoe.... Please continue this quickly!!!!!!!!! XD XD XD