DanielK24

The First Bell

Waking up for school, 6:15 in the morning, feeling drowsy and not wanting to get out of bed. This is what I feel like every morning before school and I am sure many agree. I am an eighth grade student at Kennett Middle school and believe the start of school should be pushed back to a later time. Starting school later would have many benefits to students and teachers. For example, it has been proven that more sleep can improve a student’s grades.
    Grades, as we all know are very important in school and later help students get into college. As Michael Gonchar. a “New York Times” writer, says, “New evidence suggests that a later start to the school day have all sorts of benefits, like better grades.” If schools pushed back the first bell, even by thirty minutes, students will do better on tests.
    Also another reason school should start later is because teenagers are biologically made to go to bed late and wake up late as well. Starting school early makes teenagers not get the recommended sleep and they are tired in the morning. I thought school was supposed to be all about the students, but why haven’t they scheduled it so the students get the most out of their day. A study shows done by the CDC says 75 percent of school in 40 states in the US start before 8:30AM which is entirely too early for students teenagers to get the recommended amount of sleep each night.
    Lastly, being tired means you are very moody and will get annoyed by the little things, just because you’re tired. As the sleep foundation says “Skipping sleep can be harmful — even deadly, particularly if you are behind the wheel. You can look bad, you may feel moody, and you perform poorly.”
    I realize that there are many reasons why school start early, for example so that students don’t go to school later into the day and it messes up their after school activities. But on the other hand, I’m a soccer player and I play year round, but all of my practices start at 5:30 or later, and I already get home at 3:00, so moving the schedule back at least a half and hour wouldn’t mess with my schedule.
    If schools are really trying to “set you up for success” then they should push back the start of school. School is supposed to be based around the students, but yet, schools still start school before 8:30. I mean starting school early can cause sleep deprivation which can cause grades to drop and the student’s to be more moody than usual.
Gonchar, Micheal. "Should the School Day Start Later?" The Learning Network Should the School Day Start Later Comments. New York Times, 18 Mar. 2014. Web. 14 Mar. 2016.

Lewis, Danny. "Sleep Scientists Say School Days Should Start Later."Smithsonian. Smithsonian, 11 Sept. 2015. Web. 14 Mar. 2016.