Cynthya V.

Should Home-Schooled kids be able to participate in sports at public schools?

Most of the public schools in the United States are letting homeschooled children play on their sport teams. But there are still some schools out there that believe that letting them play on their teams would be a problem. There are many reasons why I think we should let every single home-schooler participate in public school’s sports teams. For example, it will give the children a chance to make friends and meet new people. However, there are still some schools across the country, like some schools in the state of Virginia, that don’t allow home-schooled kids join their teams.
The reasons why they don’t want to let homeschoolers play sports on their teams make no sense. They think that home schooled students don't meet eligibility requirements, but every home schooled student takes the same classes as public schools. Just like the publics schools, home schoolers take math, language arts, social studies, and science. So I believe that they do meet the same eligibility requirements as the students in public schools.
Another reason I think homeschoolers should be allowed to participate in public schools is because the parents of homeschooled children are still taxpayers. This means that they have the right to benefit from the services of public schools. The high schools that don't allow them to play on their sports teams do allow the students to participate in their band, chorus, and theatre programs. If they allow them to be in those programs, then it should not be any different when it comes to sports.
The last reason I think homeschoolers should be able to participate in sports at public schools is because bringing those students in won't affect the team. The parents of homeschooled student said that the students won't “overwhelm the school” with their presence and that “ the few kids that would like to be on[the sports team] can enrich the teams”(Ojalvo). Also, just letting a couple of kids play sports is something that any school should be capable of doing.
I think that every single school in every single state should allow home schooled students to participate in public schools sports. Allowing this can have a positive effect on the school and on the students. Some reasons I believe this, are because even though some schools think homeschooled students don't meet eligibility requirements, I believe that they do. Also, the parents of these students are still taxpayers so they have the right to benefit  from public school services. Lastly,putting homeschoolers on the teams will not hurt, but enrich the team.
“Can Homeschoolers Be Team Players for Public Schools?” PublicSchoolReview.com.
            N.p,. n.d. Web. March 1, 2016.
Ojalvo, Holly Epstein. "Should Home-Schoolers Be Allowed to Play Public School
           Sports?" The Learning Network Should HomeSchoolers Be Allowed to Play
           Public School Sports Comments. New York Times Company, n.d. Web. 01 Mar.
           2016.