Yosimar

Is Graffiti Art or Vandalism?

Over the world and for a very long time,graffiti has been around us. Some people think it is vandalism. I disagree. It does come to an extent, but after all graffiti is a type of art.
    Graffiti has been around for a very long time. It has been known that for many years, people have been drawing on stones or walls. Many people believe that graffiti has no meaning and that it is vandalism. As said by former President of Miller Historical Society, Cullen .“Just because you don't like this type of art, or don't understand the purpose of this event, does not make it vandalism.”
In recent discussions of graffiti, a man by the name of Banksy, has changed many people’s point of view. Banksy has been a very successful person, and even made it on TIME magazines.  “He found himself in the company of Barack Obama, Steve Jobs and Lady Gaga.” With his amazing graffiti he has made a difference in this world, and on the question “ Is graffiti art or vandalism?”
    On the other hand, people believe that graffiti is vandalism. I do understand their way of thinking. By facts, graffiti is said to be “misleading.” This tells us that cities with this graffiti are less likely to be visited than other parts in the city. I also understand this concept and the fact that there is boundaries to what we do to public buildings. Yet, I find no reason for people saying it has no meaning. A quote by Banksy opened many eyes as well as his story , “I’ve learnt from experience that a painting isn’t finished when you put down your brush- that’s when it starts. The public reaction is what supplies meaning and value. Art comes alive in the arguments you have about it.”
     To this day, we still try to solve this among us. It's up to us to understand graffiti and picture it. Would you call it art? Would you call it vandalism? It is up to us to decide.
                                                                                                                                                                  Yosimar A.
Eickmier, Greg. "» Graffiti: Art or Vandalism?" Museum of the City. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Mar. 2016.
     Jones, Will Ellsworth. "History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian." History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian. Smithsonian, Feb. 2013. Web. 14 Mar. 2016.
    "The New York Times." Can Graffiti Ever Be Considered Art? The New York Times, 19 Feb. 2013. Web. 14 Mar. 2016.