Marauders map

Caitlyn Mulcahy

I write on my laptop, I write on my books, I write on my hands. Best of all, I write in my head. Constantly. I'm never not writing. What do you think dreams are? Your brain writing its own stories while you are sleeping.

Monday Blues Part 2

1
Monday frowned as the automatic doors slid open and forced her to trudge forward unhappily. The receptionist positioned by the elevators looked up happily. She greeted Monday rather brightly, a stark contrast to the others, who tried their best to avoid her. ‘Sunny’ her nametag read. Monday lifted a hand weakly in an attempt to return Sunny’s greeting. Slowly, Monday made her way to the stairs where she, without complaint, started to climb the countless flights. Staircases were good. Most people took the lifts. Once at her floor, Monday walked slowly to her desk. She felt the mood in the room change. People quietened and frowned at the floor, they wouldn’t talk to her. Except the people in her team. But they didn’t have a choice. Monday was required to be at the planning meetings that were held at the beginnings of each week, and meetings meant talking to people. Monday hated it, but she guessed it wasn’t much fun for her team either. She dropped her grey satchel on her desk beside her pile of paperwork, grabbed the chair and wheeled it straight ahead to where the others were gathered, sitting in a circle on their chairs. She plonked herself down and folded her arms across her chest. Sunday recoiled and wheeled his seat a little further away. Monday rolled her eyes. She looked slowly to her right where Wednesday was staring at her. She could say something feisty, what would Friday say? ‘What are you looking at Dropkick?’ But Monday couldn’t be bothered. She wasn’t in the mood for Wednesday’s flirting. Like her, He wasn’t liked. He was obsessive and annoying. So she cast a dark intimidating look in his direction until he shivered and turned away. One down five to go. Irritatingly, Thursday had her chair backwards and was sitting with her arms lying on the back rest, legs straight out in front of her so just her heels were on the ground. She looked so casually cool.  Friday was late. As usual. Monday liked being punctual. In fact, it was just about the only thing she liked. Friday however, was always late, she enjoyed the attention it drew, she loved loud entrances and having crowds follow her everywhere. Monday envied Friday. People liked Friday. Tuesday led the meeting, like always. He ignored Monday, just like the others. So in return, she ignored him. She hadn’t liked team meetings anyway. Bang! A door smashed against a wall and Sunday jumped, his chair slid from beneath him, causing him to fall with a thump to the ground. He awkwardly scrambled back onto his chair, and looked down at the floor. “No need to worry! I’m here!” A sing-song voice called out. Monday groaned internally and covered her face with her hands as the others looked around. Friday was in the building.