Picture?width=128&height=128

Alicia O Sullivan

Ireland

A Woman's World

The 8th of March was proudly celebrated throughout the world as International Women's Day, sadly many people thought it was justified to call such a day "sexist" and "discriminative".
The day is not just a day for the celebration of Gods beautiful creation of Woman and the utter most astounding mortal that is she, but a day to celebrate the how far respect has developed for Women. 
In 76 countries, the rate at which women died in childbirth dropped by at least 40%. Girls now enroll in primary school at nearly the same rate worldwide as boys. Almost all of the national constitutions adopted since 1995 include guarantees for gender equality, whereas only 79% of constitutions enacted before them contained the same protection. Yet these and other remarkable achievements are not universal. Freedom and equality are often contingent on factors like geography, income, age, race and sexual orientation. While some girls attend school, for example, others are physically attacked by extremists for trying to do so.Accurate measurements are almost impossible to obtain as the government fails to provide us with uniformed data for certain cases eg. Poverty rates for women and girls.
Today, more than four out of five constitutions have some mechanism to guarantee gender equality.We are developing our gender equality and it has become a social awareness and something that the majority of people have alot of respect for.I personally believe that a lot of men feel threatened by the word "feminism".I believe all second level education students should be greatly informed about the definition of feminism and that it is about both men and women respecting eachother.My point here being that if people in general were more aware of how far gender equality has come and were informed less narrowly about feminism maybe we wouldn't have pessimistic views on celebrating Women.
On average, women devote up to three hours more each day to housework than men, including two to 10 times more time on family care, and one to four fewer hours on work outside the home.It saddens me that we still have the old age view that women must so the domestic duties in the home whereas men receive third level education and provide the staple of the income for the family.We should encourage women to education rather than reproducing early in life.
We obviously still have along way to go with gender equality as women in every country face inequality every day in the home, in the workplace, in the church etc.But we are progressing vastly, with more advertisement and a one true leader we can change the world and grant equality to everyone everywhere.

• 201356

Nice Job! I really enjoyed reading your editorial. It doesn't seem as though many people ring up the thought of women's roles against men's, but it is needed to be thought about. The sources used really emphasize the sad, but true facts about women's roles in the world, and really make this editorial strong. I also really enjoy the comments included about how women devote up to three hours more each day to housework to men. Even though, in the past, it was seen that women do housework and cook all the food rather than the men, which is clearly something that should be realized as wrong. I enjoyed this comment added as it shows what has been known to happen in the past and is being brought up in editorials as this one is. I feel that one thing that could be worked on could be to add a few more quotes in the paragraphs including information about women and their households and the idea of gender equality starting to be a popular subject. This would make these paragraphs a bit stronger and could add a little more evidence behind the ideas needed to be talked about. Also, make sure to go through your editorial to fix where spaces between periods and the start of a sentence are needed. Overall, I really enjoyed this editorial and I hope that more and more people can learn to make gender inequality a thing of the past.