Peer Review by Suri Purefoy (United States)

Black Boots, Red Umbrella

By: casamiento

Everyday the little girl wore her black boots and had her red umbrella. But, it isn't the boots themselves that seem strange, it's the fact that in her little barrio, her little neighborhood, it didn't rain. It never rained.

"It's for the inevitable." She would say when you asked her why she wore her black boots and had her red umbrella. No one would question that. They left her statement be. 

One day, when the sky was cloudless and a calming sky blue, I went up to her. I asked her the question no one wanted to ask. I asked her, "what is the inevitable?"

She looked at me and then at a rosebud. "​Ves esa rosa? You see that rosebud? It's not grown yet, it seems like it never will. But the wonderful thing about it, is that it will. Things that don't normally happen really quickly or right now will happen someday. I believe that universe will never create something for it not to happen. So when the inevitable does happen, I'll be ready. I'll be ready with my black boots and red umbrella." 

She was right, it did rain. And when it rained, it poured. 

My favorite line(s) are as follow: "...It;s not grown yet, it seems like it never will. But the wonderful thing about it is that it will. Things that don't normally happen really quickly or right now will happen someday. I believe that the universe will never create something for it not to happen..."

A craving to go and do something in the world, so that when those days that it will "pour" come, I might be ready, just as this girl was. I want to prepare for the inevitable.

Is there a symbolic meaning to the rain and being prepared?

Touching, aspiring, and beautiful!