7124aec8ac5f0561405ee5a83d65fb00

casamiento

Activist, Writer, Actress, Speaker. Acknowledgments and Idols: Antoinette Pippin, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Emma Watson

You wish on that star all you want. But remember, that old star can only take you part of the way. You gotta help it get along with some hard work of your own.

Black Boots, Red Umbrella

1
Everyday the little girl wore her black boots and had her red umbrella. But, it isn't the boots themselves that seem strange, it's the fact that in her little barrio, her little neighborhood, it didn't rain. It never rained.

"It's for the inevitable." She would say when you asked her why she wore her black boots and had her red umbrella. No one would question that. They left her statement be. 

One day, when the sky was cloudless and a calming sky blue, I went up to her. I asked her the question no one wanted to ask. I asked her, "what is the inevitable?"

She looked at me and then at a rosebud. "​Ves esa rosa? You see that rosebud? It's not grown yet, it seems like it never will. But the wonderful thing about it, is that it will. Things that don't normally happen really quickly or right now will happen someday. I believe that universe will never create something for it not to happen. So when the inevitable does happen, I'll be ready. I'll be ready with my black boots and red umbrella." 

She was right, it did rain. And when it rained, it poured.