Picture?width=128&height=128

monkeynuts2001@hotmail.co.uk

L

I have decided to write about something that has annoyed me for an extremely long time. You always see in the news and on social media sites of the latest criminals. However, on almost every case on Facebook, there have been many people commenting things like 'their punishment should be their crime' 'they murdered someone so murder them' and others similar to those. Overall, what does that show of us as a society? That shows that we just want to punish and punish people again and again. I don't want to create the wrong impression and I understand what they have done is wrong, but surely if you do to them what they have done to another person, surely that makes you as bad as them? It was only this morning that I saw a story on Facebook of a man who was arrested for raping his stepson, and whilst in prison, he had to be admitted to hospital from other inmates repeatedly torturing and raping him. I mean, obviously he is a sick man in general, but what the inmates did was seriously wrong. They are looking down on him for what he did , but ultimately, they just did exactly what he said they did. I'm correct, right? People go
on and on about How prisoners should only get 'what they deserve' but the fact is, maybe whilst they were in prison they could change? If people are punishing them for what they have previously done, how is that allowing them to forget the  past and turn over a new leaf? It's not. That is reminding them of what awful things they have done, which will haunt them for life. As well as that, society judges people by the outside and what they have done in the past, but how can you do that? You shouldn't allow yourself to do it as you don't know the slightest thing about that persons background. They could have been bullied, tortured or have had violent parents. You dont know them. If you have just met somebody, it's not your place to judge them on their past, it's your job to be nice to them and treat them as you Would expect to be treated. By saying this I am no means saying that people shouldn't go to prison or have any type of punishment, all I'm saying is that people should think before they say or act, because the slightest thing that they say, can have a major impact on someone's life. Also don't judge a book by its cover. You haven't got the slightest idea what that person has been through. Be nice to them and show them respect. I know I am only 14 years old and I'm young and I'm not supposed to have opinions on things like this yet, but it has to be said. I'm sure many people will agree with me. Linking back to what I said earlier, everyday I think to my self, what is society turning into? Why is the world turning into such a monstrous place? Like I said, think. If you were in their shoes, would you want to suffer and be reminded of the dreadful things you have done? No. So why should other people have to suffer their bad life choices and mistakes?
Thank you for reading. 
Emilia Blencowe