korra4life

I'm no longer on WtW and have withdrew the majority of my pieces. If you want to get in touch, you can message me on Instagram or my email (found in 'Message from Writer').

Thanks for being around, guys! Keep writing and DFTBA.

Oof... I took forever with this chapter. Can't wait to write chapter 9!

Explosion, pt. 8

3
Explosion, pt. 7
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The day of my high school graduation was...
Enchanting and sorrowful at the same time. 
I didn't want to leave. I had become so attached to my routine, that I couldn't see myself doing anything else, even though I had already been accepted to the top university of Japan in Tokyo. 
I remember standing among the other dozen students of Class B from our high school. Youta and I stood by one another, grinning widely as we listened to our teacher's speech. I caught Haru's eye in the crowd and gave him a wink. He winked back and held up his handmade sign. It read: May My Closest Friends Be Successful
"I wish he could be up here with us," Youta murmured in my ear. I turned to look at him, his blue graduation attire shimmering in the bright sunlight. His closeness was both comforting and exciting, but I forced myself to look away.
I gave him a small smile. "I do too. But he'll be graduating soon enough," I gave a shrug and turned back to look through the crowd. I found my parents standing by one another, holding onto each other's hands. As usual, my father was crying, holding a tissue against his face. My mother gave me a calm smile and adjusted her wig with a smirk. She shouldn't have been out of the hospital yet, but I'm sure she bullied the doctors to let her out early. 
Neither of my sisters were there. And that hurt, so much. What also hurt was the fact that Hinata wasn't there either. I mean, he didn't really matter. But it added up to the amount of people who were missing this milestone of my life.
Maybe it was a message. 
Maybe it was the universe telling me that milestones aren't that important.
Or maybe the universe was telling me that people would always disappoint me.
Either way, the universe was right.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All of the adults, including Father Shozo, had run out of the chapel a few hours ago, heading straight for the fires. I was tasked with staying here (Dr. Yabasako believes the inhalation of the smoke would make my dehydration much worse) and watching over the children. And the unconscious Hinata.
I stared out of the stained mosaic windows at the raging fire. Through the dim windows, the fire seems to have grown. I let out a sigh and turn away to face the group of children who have been quietly playing around Hinata's still body lying on a wooden pew. 
I watch them for an uncomfortable moment before turning and walking toward the door. My hand gently lays on the handle while I think of the warning Youta gave me before he left. He instructed me to not leave the chapel until everyone had gotten back. 
My fingers tighten on the door handle and I pull it open. I step outside and shut the door behind me. My eyes immediately start to water, and I pull the top of my blouse over my nose. Blinking heavily, I stare out through the dim haze of smoke toward the rest of the city. The fire has really grown... too much. 
I inhale deeply, my eyes widening, but that only leaves me coughing. I turn quickly and rush to the chapel door. It feels a little warm to the touch and I shove it open, pushing myself inside. I slam the door shut and turn towards the children in the building. 
Saori stands, her stuffed animal in her arms. I stare at her large eyes before moving on to the eyes of each of the children. They're all depending on me. 
I pull my shirt down from my face and clear my throat quickly. "I need everyone to get up now," I say loudly. A few of the older kids grab some of the younger ones, fear apparent in their eyes. I soften my gaze and give a gentle nod. "We need to leave the chapel now. I want everyone to go down to the basement and grab canteens of water. If you can, grab food, mats, blankets, and extra clothing. Please hurry, but don't panic. We will all be safe... I promise." 
I never give out promises. Not without knowing for a fact I could keep it. But I have to lie for these kids. If I don't, what will happen to them? 
As toys drop, movement picks up in the room as the children zip toward the stairs for the basement. As they go down, I hurry toward the altar and snatch the plates and tin cups. My thoughts start to wander to that first awkward night of dinner, but I force myself to stop. There's no time to think about any of them. They might all be dead. As I rush toward the stairs, my lips start to quiver.
Father Shozo. Nagatomi. 
Dr. Yabasako. Tajima.
My parents. Youta.

They're all gone. My eyes land on a small little boy, a deep cut on his thigh, ripped through his thin shorts. He looks like he's about to cry. I force myself to stop thinking about the dead or gone. It's too late for them. 
But it isn't too late for these kids. I'll have to save them myself.

• korra4life

I can't bargain with you, XD.
    I'll be really sad if you kill Mr. Snyder, but I totally understand if you have to. I can't tell you if Youta dies or not... just wait for chapter 9...
    And yes! I'm super excited about 'Silver Blade' too! I'm going to start publishing once Explosion comes to an end.

Oh! And so happy that you're going to be turning Silver Blade into a longer piece!! :DD

@korra, smh and laughing. Of course you should publish them! And yeah, I've got a semi-crush on Youta.
    Understanding perfectly that you cannot reveal the state of his being... Understanding, not caring.... I'm fine not knowing what's happening to my favorite character.... Really, I am..... I just want to know a little bit.... Maybe a lot..... If you don't tell me, I'll---I'll wait and read the next chapter.

I love Kei too, so don't let anything too horrible happen to her :)

Or.... Hmm... I might have found the right way to bargain with you:

You don't kill Youta and I won't kill Mr. Snyder (at least, not so's you could notice [as if you would care that much since he's not that kind of character or something] ;)

Talk to ya in a minute or five or whenever :)

• korra4life

Hm... I actually haven't thought about publishing the Mission or Explosion series at all. Do you think I should? Of course, if I decide to, the chapters will be much longer.
    And I'm so glad to hear that you love my male characters! It makes me super happy to hear that you would have crushes on them. I think I would too

• Mary Wall

I agree with CuaCriaulthy. You are forbidden---for as much as it's worth--- to kill him. You make the most amazing guy characters. If they were real, I would have many more celebrity crushes than I do now.:) This was a really good chapter; kind of short, but crucial nonetheless. And echoing Quille, I can't wait for the next chapter! (Are you planning on publishing this at any point in the future?)

• korra4life

I'm glad you both feel passionately for Youta! I can't reveal whether or not he's dead...

Ditto @CuaCriaulthy! Can't wait for #9!!

• Take7

Youta cannot be gone. No. Not allowed. Do NOT kill Youta. Please!!!!